Official Review: Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me" by Sabaine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

College student and poet Sabaine presents us with her first collection of poetry, titled Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me. My copy of the book is subtitled The Lost and Found Hope Volume 1, so I’m pretty sure that’s a big hint that we can expect more from this young author, who has not even reached her prime yet. A variety of poetic styles can be found within the pages of this book, alongside a strong sense of emotion and passion for the words being shared. Additionally, a sadness accompanies these words, so get ready to be shocked to tears by some of the things Sabaine has to share.

As hinted by the title of the book, the poems found within revolve around Sabaine’s reflections of her own life and her personal stories on her road to self-discovery and self-acceptance. Separated into ten parts, the poems are organized by similar styles or by similar events that had a strong influence on her life. The first poem in the book is the longest and, written in free verse, reads like a journal that covers multiple years of her life. While we get a general sense of what she is like from this poem alone, it is the remainder of the book that fills in the missing bits and pieces and really defines the turmoil that she suffers throughout her life. Her home life is pretty awful, and she just doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere.

Reading this book is like reading an emotional memoir written through poetry. It’s not as clear and concise as we’d usually expect in a memoir, but I don’t think it was intended to be. It’s very clear that a lot of emotion was involved when writing this book, especially concerning negative emotions such as fear, self-loathing, loneliness, abandonment, grief, and hatred, to name a mere few, so the details of particular events that might be of interest to readers like me were not necessarily fleshed out to their full potential. By the end of the book, there were so many more details that I wanted to know, yet I’m fully aware that such details are not the important part of the poetry.

My only grievance with the book was one specific section that broke the flow of the poetry found in the rest of the book. The font changed to appear more official and less whimsical, the style changed to a more visual form of poetry, and the content dramatically changed. The font and style changes were rather interesting to me, and they seemed both creative and necessary to go along with the content changes. However, it was the content changes that I didn’t much care for. Rather than continuing with the beauty that comprised the theme of Sabaine’s reflections and self-discovery, I felt like I had suddenly been thrown into a political commentary cage match with multiple topics attacking me all at once. To be fair, some of the content found within this section seemed appropriate, such as how the author had been required to deal with racism from an early age, but for the most part, this section just seemed out of place and unnecessary to the rest of the book. It really threw off the flow of the book for me.

Fortunately, there is also a later section containing haiku, which I absolutely loved. My fascination for the book was restored once those little gems made their appearance. Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who enjoys poetry. Those who enjoy memoirs or young adult books would also enjoy this book as well; it certainly makes for a refreshing read, thanks to the emotional focus of the poetry.

Between the Lines There Lies a Story of Me
View: on Bookshelves

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

...coming out of hibernation.

Brilliant review. Adeptly written, lyrical, a joy to read. You have a way with words. And congratulations to the author for the book, and for falling into the hands of such a capable reviewer.

Going back into hibernation...
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Thank you for coming out of hibernation to leave a comment on this review, PaPa!

-- 06 Oct 2016, 04:25 --

Lol. Yes, I called you PaPa!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

An interesting review--I enjoy poetry, and I may add this to my list. Thank you!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

ALynnPowers wrote:Thank you for coming out of hibernation to leave a comment on this review, PaPa!

-- 06 Oct 2016, 04:25 --

Lol. Yes, I called you PaPa!
:D
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

A really amazing review. Seems like a great book as well. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review!

-- 18 Oct 2016, 09:56 --

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the book. Thank you for the great review!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Great job on the review, it's incredibly detailed! I love poems that bring out your emotions :)
romantics
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Frannie and Tru</a>
Currently Reading: Brave New World
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romantics.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by romantics »

This seems like a really good read. I hope I can get my hands on it soon! Thanks for your beautiful review.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Awesome review. Very well done.
Glad this was picked for book of the day.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think I'll check this out because of the author's youth. It's not too common for college students to have books published; I'm interested in what she has to say. Congrats on the BOTD!
Akash1311
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Akash1311 »

interesting review... I am surely gonna read this emotional poetic journey...
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

Thank you for the great review. I think I would like the way that the poems are organized. I like emotional poetry, so I'm really interested in checking this book out.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Congratulations on being BOTD! I love poetry so this book is right up my àlley especially since its about the author's journey through life.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I enjoy reading poetry, especially if the poet has put a lot of emotion into their work. It then seems as if you are able to feel these emotions along with the author. This book seems like it would be an interesting read and I am looking forward to starting it.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”