Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Love In It's Highest Form

Unconditional And Unending

What an emotional heart wrenching roller coaster story of love, grief, acceptance, and letting go! I have read several books I felt I was not skilled enough in prose to do justice; this is one of those books. I hope this review will inspire you to run and buy this book. FEATURED BOOK FOR JUNE ON MY BLOG.

STORY LINE:

Ted is gay, quirky, lonely, has issues and is in therapy with a therapist that just doesn't get him. Lily, a dachshund, is Ted's faithful companion, his friend, his rock, his sounding board, his greatest love. Ted raised Lily from twelve weeks of age and they have a bond that only someone who has a beloved pet could understand. Ted discovers an octopus on Lily's head. The crisis of his life is about to begin as he and Lily must come to terms with mortality and what living really means.

Come along with Ted and Lily as they journey through life.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:

This story is about grief, unconditional love, unconditional companionship, and the unconditional emotional support that runs between Ted and Lily and how Ted deals with his and Lily's problems. Mr. Rowley's uses the octopus as an analogy of the crisis in Ted and Lily's life. Lily's crisis is medical, Ted's is emotional. Mr. Rowley skillfully created a story which expertly shows that we can run from the piper but the piper must be paid and we as humans must grieve, pick ourselves up, carry on, and live life to the fullest.

I found myself crying tears of sadness and heartache; I also laughed out loud as the conversations between Lily and Ted were hilarious. I ran the gauntlet of emotions reading this story. This novel is an emotional roller coaster ride from start to finish; Author Steven Rowley grabs you deep in your heart and does not let go. Mr Rowley's talent is clear as he weaves this wonderful tale of life and love; he brings your emotions to the surface.

This story has many levels and depths. Mr. Rowley sets the hook in the first pages and then reels you into the story. It is a "not to be missed" book of grief, living life to the fullest, acceptance, and love; all expertly crafted by Mr. Rowley.

RECOMMENDATION: 5+ STARS

This is one of the best books I have read this year; few books have affected me as this one. I highly recommend this book by a talented author. This book is suitable for readers that like a solid well-developed and paced story. I look forward to Mr. Rowley's next book.

I received this book from Netgalley.com in return for an honest book review. Book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion; book reviews on line under my name are my opinion.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

Fantastic review for a fantastic book! I agree that I can not begin to give this book enough justice. I had to stop reading at the end because I too felt myself started to tear up and wanted to sleep on it and finish it in the morning when I could cry in peace.

This book had me laughing at all the conversations between Ted and Lily as well as those Ted had inside his head when he was out (or at his therapist's).

Any dog lovers should definitely read this book!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”