Official Review: The Soul Of Something by Nathan L. Binford

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Soul Of Something by Nathan L. Binford

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Soul Of Something" by Nathan L. Binford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Autobiographical stories are really hit or miss for me. It feels like a lot of times (assuming the person isn't an awesome celebrity) the book makes it clear the author is either full of themselves, dull or they're full of ridiculous lies. Nathan L. Binford's The Soul of Something is none of these things, instead it's a heartfelt book with plenty of overcoming adversity, reflection on life and hardheaded childhood.

When Nate was a boy, he got into trouble quite frequently, and even some major trouble a few times, but the telling of it all feels very believable. Nate's biggest problems as a kid are that he always feels compelled to outdo everyone with everything and he falls in with the wrong people. The former problem results in some hilarious situations, like when he ended up accidentally flinging a burning eraser at his crotch and lighting his pants on fire, later referred to as the "Balls of Fire incident". The latter problem, however, ends up scary - he gets into cutting and even huffing rubber cement several different times. He didn't even realize it was a drug until a health class presentation talked about inhalants and mentioned rubber cement specifically, and the long-term side effects made him quit cold turkey. This is definitely a lesson many folks should learn before it's too late!

As the story progresses, 9/11 happens (the tragic terrorist attack on September 11th, 2001 where two planes flew into the World Trade Center among other things). This started a calling in him to join the military, and a year later after operation Shock and Awe (President George Bush Jr's response) he finally gave in, leaving his newlywed wife and unborn child behind to do so. The military ends up being quite the adventure, and without spoiling anything, it's a really interesting, balanced look into the US military!

Like any good autobiographical novel, not every moment is the most exciting event in the world, and even these portions of the book were smooth and enjoyable to read. Nate manages to turn his life around in a major way, and in doing so makes a pretty good role model in the process. He never blames others for what happens to him and he's quick to stand up for others, especially his metaphorical brothers and sisters in the military. The author also makes a note to say that hopefully his kids understand why he's so protective of them and that he wants to make sure they don't follow in his footsteps. That's a very sweet, strong point to make. He makes these kinds of points semi-often, especially after particularly bad events, making notes on how he'll do better for his kids and make sure they have a better life.

I only had a few qualms with the book - there was an excessive use of commas (something I fall prey to on a regular basis myself) and the book could've used a touch of extra editing, but worse than those was the fact that the timeline could be a bit confusing at times. Not only does the story go back and forth, it sometimes mentions a time and then goes back without making it clear. For example, at one point he talks about when he was a freshman in high school, and then goes on a bit and suddenly he says "when middle school started" as if it hadn't happened yet in relation to what was currently going on (for those not in the US, middle school is either grades 6-8 or 7-8 and high school is 9-12). This only really happens in the first few chapters, but it made acclimating to the timeline of the story a little rough at times.

In the end, however, I definitely ended up enjoying my time with The Soul of Something, especially after the early hiccups in the timeline, and I'm happy to give it 3 out of 4 stars. I'd give it 3.5 if I could! Nathan L. Binford and this book, perhaps above all else, should be known for his dad's reassuring line: "baby don't worry. Everything's going to be alright."

The Soul Of Something
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”