Official Review: A Canadian's Poems by Doug Bentley

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Official Review: A Canadian's Poems by Doug Bentley

Post by P_hernandez »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Canadian's Poems" by Doug Bentley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Formalities, first: I give this collection 4 out of 4 stars.

Has poetry not run its course yet? In terms of lyrical and timed wordings and lines, I almost exclusively think of two juxtaposed classifications: Classic poetry and rap music. Two genres, though both alike in dignity, (yes, that is a Shakespeare reference lol) are separated by centuries, convention, and societal acceptance/stereotypes. Both genres use colorful verbosity and metaphorical rhetoric to pander directly to the audience that seeks them out. Both genres ask the listener to challenge what they know and identify with the portrait being painted in front of them. Sometimes both genres even rhyme. But rarely does a modern-day classic manage to capture both the sophistication of yore and the passionate, angry, raw, sentimental and beautiful world of today. To answer my own question of whether or not poetry has run its course, I will say that as long as Doug Bentley is writing poetry, it has not.

In A Canadians Poems, Bentley offers many different views on everything from politics and religion to science and nostalgia. I absolutely adore poetry that steps out of the every-other-line-rhymes type of poems and opens the reader up to the possibility of flow. More poems than not in this collection asked the reader to step out of their own mind and focus solely on the words, and subsequently the issues the poems dealt with. The poem "Ink Sketch" specifically asks the reader to clear their mind and begin reading ten seconds from then. Honestly, that small exercise, the simplicity of 10 seconds of clarity, allowed the reader to fully understand the poem, instead of just seeing words that may not make sense.

Several pieces from this collection warrant reading at least once, (I happened to read this book 3 times and my favorite pieces more than that, but that's beside the point lol) however a few of the most powerful poems are the most unsuspecting. Like "Lion's Paw," or "Ark," or "Eat, Drink, Be Merry." These were beautifully crafted with talent and passion that some contemporary writers completely lack.

I would recommend this book to people who are lovers of words, prose, conceptual art. They will see the talent of the author from the start and it will be an enjoyable read for them. I also would recommend this title to those who say they don't enjoy modern poetry. I was one of those people until I read this. While modern poets aren't entirely my thing, if Doug Bentley writes it, I'll give it a go. Definitely check this one out!

A Canadian's Poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords | Hassle-Free Sample

Like P_hernandez's review? Post a comment saying so!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your review. Poetry is hard to review since it's usually very personal. You did a great job!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

Kudos on taking the time to write a poetry review. I don't know many people who can do it well, but it certainly seems as though you have a talent for it. I enjoyed reading your review and hope to see more from you in the future.

CR
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

Excellent job on the review. I can't imaine how difficult it must have been to come up with a review for a collection of poems.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

Thank you all! I know poetry is so subjective that it's difficult to express wether or not it's "good." But this really was a terrific collection!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”