Where The Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeahSwenor
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leahswenor.html

Where The Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein

Post by LeahSwenor »

Read, Fall of 2002
5 out of 5 stars

It’s been a long while since I read this book. But, if it’s worth anything, I’d like to say that this was the book that got me to completely fall in love with reading. Sure, I liked reading well enough to begin with, I learned to read earlier than most and spent kindergarten reading Junie B Jones and Magic Treehouse books. But in first grade I had a habit of grabbing the thickest book I could find in the school library, and happened upon this gem of a book. I began with Where The Sidewalk Ends, reading through my lessons and lunch, bringing it home and reading into the night. The next day I moved on to Silverstein’s other works, one by one. I had never read poetry before, nor had I read with such zeil. The poems were funny and engaging, and the pictures were hilarious beyond all belief. I would regularly try to draw the pictures myself, and even make up my own stories to go along with them. In second grade I reread this book, and was inspired then to write and illustrate my own book. A goal that I still have today.
My two cents would be this: I do not rate a book 5 stars lightly. This book would be 6 stars if I could give it that. I would recommend this book to anyone, at any age, young or old, rich or poor, even those who don’t enjoy reading. It is a masterpiece.
Lyn_R

Post by Lyn_R »

When my daughter was learning to read, she had a hard time finding authors that impressed her. She would pick out books and become discouraged. I bought her a Shel Silverstein book as a gift on her 8th birthday. Unwrapping it, she was not impressed. a few days later she flew into the living room with the book, laughing historically and reciting some of the works. To this day (she's in college), he is her favorite poet. She has collected all of his books over the years and continues to look for his "latest."
Like you, if I could I'd give him all the stars! He is a magician with words.
energizerabby

Post by energizerabby »

I loved this book as a kid... when i was a substitute teacher i would try to read a few to my classes if i had to pick the book
tmieofficial
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmieofficial.html

Post by tmieofficial »

Where The Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein was one of the first books of poetry I ever read growing up. It handed down to me from a family member, I read it an instantly grew to enjoy the humour, creativity and illustrations for each poem that was made. It is a very inspirational book that has a target audience for mainly the adolescent though nevertheless does it display a great range of characters and catchy stories.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

@tmieofficial I love Where The Sidewalk Ends. My brother and I used to take turns reading the poems to each other when I was younger. Shel Silverstein has a solid place in my heart.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
NerdShopGirl

Post by NerdShopGirl »

Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic and Falling Up were some of my favorite books growing up as well. Shel Silverstein was a master at his craft. And we can't forget The Missing Piece and The Giving Tree. Brilliant work.

I share these books with my little siblings now and they adore it just as much as I did. He is timeless. His books appeal to the child in us all.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

NerdShopGirl wrote:Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic and Falling Up were some of my favorite books growing up as well. Shel Silverstein was a master at his craft. And we can't forget The Missing Piece and The Giving Tree. Brilliant work.

I share these books with my little siblings now and they adore it just as much as I did. He is timeless. His books appeal to the child in us all.
@NerdShopGirl So true. I could not have said it better myself. "What If" is still my favorite of all of them and "The Twistable Turnable Man." I gave "The Giving Tree" to my brother for the holidays two years ago because he used to read it to me when I was little. He is seven years older than me and a great big brother.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sammie42194

Post by Sammie42194 »

The book where the sidewalk ends is a great book I read it when I was in second grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It would be the first book I went to when I had library day. I would recommend this book to little kids for sure. My siblings and cousins have all read this book and loved it to. :D
annarocher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by annarocher »

I recall these bits of wise poetry from my childhood and have recently purchased this book to share with my child. This small collection of funny, odd, and imaginative poetry has brought bedtime reading a new twist of fun. A wonderful addition to The Giving Tree and The Missing Piece.
keyana_taylor
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keyana-taylor.html
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by keyana_taylor »

That was the book that sealed the deal for me and got me into poetry at a very young age. I have no idea what happened to my copy but I'm so glad this post refreshed my mind on the book. I def have to find it for my son.

-- 14 Jul 2015, 09:54 --

That was the book that sealed the deal for me and got me into poetry at a very young age. I have no idea what happened to my copy but I'm so glad this post refreshed my mind on the book. I def have to find it for my son.
Latest Review: "An end to the Thrill" by Varun Kumar
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

I've always wanted to read Where the Sidewalk Ends but somehow, I always get caught up doing something else. You all have inspired me: there's a huge used bookstore close to my home and I know there's a great copy of it there! This is my new creative goal for the day, get that book!
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I've never read this book, but somehow the title just caught my interest. And from the reviews it has been getting, it seems like something I need to add to my reading list.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
SABernier12
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabernier12.html

Post by SABernier12 »

I love where the sidewalk ends! It's a perfect book for a laugh and to spark creative juices. That is the book that enticed my boyfriend to start reading, and he actually reads daily and writes his own poetry now. It's a great mixture between art and humor.

SABernier
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Like many of you, I also love Where the Sidewalk Ends. This book actually introduced me to poetry and after I finished reading I read all the other books written by Shel Silverstein. This was the first book I can remember wanting to desperately own. :)
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone!
2ira
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2ira.html

Post by 2ira »

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein is a collection of some of Silverstein's poems and drawings.

This book, among Silverstein's other poetry books, has been an absolute favorite of mine since I was in elementary school. The poems are silly along with the drawings. They make you laugh and smile. Some have some good moral and meaning behind them as well.

Return to “Children's Books”