Review by KeriCraven -- Life Before by K.L. Romo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Review by KeriCraven -- Life Before by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Life Before" by K.L. Romo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life Before is a captivating historical fiction novel written by K. L. Romo. This novel tells the story of a middle-aged woman who discovers she is able to connect with one of her past lives. In Life Before we meet Elaine of Dallas, Texas. Elaine is trying to determine her new purpose in life now that her children have gone off to college. Like many of us, she struggles to find her passion. For many years, Elaine has put off becoming a writer. Running out of excuses, she decides to give it a go. Through modern technology, Elaine is transported through time and finds herself in 1907 Dallas. Here Elaine lives out the life of a reformed prostitute named Eliza Darling. Elaine digs deeper into the world of prostitution during her trips in the past. Through her journey, Elaine wonders if this underground world still exists today.

It is no easy task to take on a subject as touchy as prostitution. Romo shines a brand-new light on an old practice by describing prostitution as a form of slavery. Through this novel, readers are able to experience the different forms of prostitution. Romo discusses the motivation to partake in this line of work in great detail. She also explains that some women were forced into this business while other women chose it on their own. The main theme in Life Before is the desire to feel empowered. This is something that many readers can relate to.

This novel offers the readers real characters that are complex. The author describes them in a way that is authentic in a way that prostitutes are rarely portrayed. Romo provides the back stories for many characters. It is fantastic the way that the author goes further into the past to show the characters as young girls. This allows the reader to understand where these girls are coming from and why they chose this life. The backstories of these characters are heartbreaking. What they experience and feel are relatable.

Life Before brings readers face to face with the realities that the lower-class face. It shows the circumstances that forced many young and innocent girls into prostitution. The crime and atrocities committed against these girls were beyond imagination. The worst part was the lack of concern for these girls. That made the crimes that more dangerous. There were many instances that made me cry. There are several graphic sexual scenes in the book, so I would only recommend it for adult readers. I would recommend this to readers who love time travel stories time or historical fiction.

Overall, I would rate Life Before 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book that was hard to put down. It is a book that makes the readers think about the multiple sides of human nature. This is not a simple story. It is an experience. The story is neatly written and the plot is easy to understand despite jumping from one date to the next.

Life Before
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KeriCraven's review? Post a comment saying so!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

"This is not a simple story. It is an experience." This part really moved me. I will have to give the book a go because I feel I'll be missing out on something important if Idon't. Thank you for a great review, KeriCraven
KeriCraven

Post by KeriCraven »

Thank you. It was really interesting.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

Indeed it ain't easy to write on such topics like prostitution. It takes courage and even experience, where some one maybe is determined to help others. I like your review.
KeriCraven

Post by KeriCraven »

kwahu wrote:Indeed it ain't easy to write on such topics like prostitution. It takes courage and even experience, where some one maybe is determined to help others. I like your review.
Thank you
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

"This is not a simple story. It is an experience."

I agree with Kislany. These words are compelling.
KeriCraven

Post by KeriCraven »

Miriam Molina wrote:"This is not a simple story. It is an experience."

I agree with Kislany. These words are compelling.
Thank you
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

What a great review for what sounds like an interesting book! I like historical fiction although I usually don't care for prostitution themes. Still, you made the story sound intriguing. I am off to read the sample.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”