Official Review: Acts of Sedition by Dennis Stephan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Official Review: Acts of Sedition by Dennis Stephan

Post by Lennycat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Acts of Sedition" by Dennis Stephan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you woke up one day and you were no longer allowed to vote, or hold a job? What if you had to wear a head covering? What if you weren’t allowed to go to the Church of your religion? What if the President of the United States you voted for turned out to be a totalitarian monster and wanted to rule forever?

Acts of Sedition by Dennis Stephan takes us to this alternate future where some elements ring all too familiar in today’s political climate. It is 2045, and the people of the United States have grown tired of a political establishment that doesn’t seem to care or want to help. Mohammad Abbas, a seemingly secular, charismatic, and conservative Muslim is voted in as President. Within months, he changes the social order and direction of the country by making it illegal for women to hold jobs in leadership roles and making them wear hajibs. He tries to amend the Constitution by getting rid of term limits for positions in government. He holds people without a trial and executes anyone that tries to protest these draconian changes. The country leans increasingly more and more toward Sharia law and the Constitution is slowly eroded into nothing more than a piece of paper.

Three years later, the people are quietly growing with discontent. Groups start to gather at secret meetings to discuss how to take back the country and remove the authoritarian stronghold. A resistance movement is borne with people of all affiliations to gain back the freedoms of their grandparents that had been taken for granted. Angela Mastronardo, from South Philadelphia and a former corporate executive, along with Rabbi Saul Rudzinsky, a New York City Rabbi, and two orphans from Syria, Makim and Qasim Khalid, put aside ideological differences to create a plan to overthrow the government. They are led by Major General Josh Redmond, a hero and superior military strategist who creates a bold and daring plan for a coup.

This story was disturbing to me because it is so timely. Much of what the author wrote can be taken into context in America's current events. His words stayed with me long after I had finished the book. Mr. Stephan does an excellent job of fully forming each character with a distinct personality and I thought about how these characters became a new generation of revolutionists with acts of sedition. I couldn't help but feel that Mr. Stephan's futuristic look at America is a bit too close for comfort and I worry about what will happen with our own country of today.

I did find several technical errors toward the end of the book. I would recommend to the author one more run-through with an editor. There were a few sexually explicit scenes in the book that may be alarming to some readers. I do not feel they were gratuitous.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although, there were a few technical errors toward the end of the book, I felt this book was deserving of the highest rating because of the compelling storyline. This book offers a terrifying picture of what life in the United States could look like in 25 years. This book will appeal to readers who enjoy political thrillers and suspense. Because of a few graphic sexual scenes, I would recommend this book to readers 17 years and over.

Acts of Sedition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I would recommend this book, especially for those that love political stories. History and thriller novels. It is a must read. The writer seemed prophetic though.
Lennycat

Post by Lennycat »

Thanks for your response. I’m glad that you liked the book too.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Projecting into the future with little or no comforting news. Dennis Stephan's outlook on life in the United States in 25 years' time, I would agree, is disturbing. However, Acts of Sedition has an interesting storyline. I think the review is well-worded.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Lennycat

Post by Lennycat »

Thank you for your response. I would agree that this book had a very interesting storyline.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Your review is captivating. I enjoyed every bit of it and I am eager to read the book for myself.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. It does sound like an interesting and unfortunately appropriate book for these times. I can see that happening. It's almost too realistic to read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

The book addresses some of the current problems in some countries like Syria. It also shows what humans will do when what they took for granted is taken away. When man feels that he has nothing more to lose and that dialogue is not an option, revolutions are inevitable like in Libya
Lennycat

Post by Lennycat »

Job Njoroge wrote:The book addresses some of the current problems in some countries like Syria. It also shows what humans will do when what they took for granted is taken away. When man feels that he has nothing more to lose and that dialogue is not an option, revolutions are inevitable like in Libya
I agree with your very perceptive assessment, Job. Unfortunately, the scenario from this book seems to happening all over the world, not just America.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

An interesting storyline indeed... This is the kind of book that should be made into a movie.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jr Artemis
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Jr Artemis »

For After exam folder list., It must be my first book after reading the review,Thx
Nivet wahs
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nivet wahs »

Good book

-- 25 Oct 2017, 22:23 --

Good book
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

This is an interesting read, living the future before it catches up with you. That's not a bad idea O guess, by that the necessary precautions could be taken.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Wow! This books sounds like a must read because of its contemporary and prophetic historical content. As a historian, I can see that definitely happening in the United States as well as in Europe.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's scary when a book makes you fearful about real-life situations.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Historical Fiction”