Official Review: Uncommon Enemy by John Reynolds

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Official Review: Uncommon Enemy by John Reynolds

Post by k2rugman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uncommon Enemy" by John Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uncommon Enemy by John Reynolds is a fascinating alternative history depicting the events that could have unfolded had the Nazi’s won the war. This story follows Stuart, Carol, and friends as they traverse the new and dangerous regime put in place by the Nazi’s New Order in New Zealand.

Stuart is a New Zealand native who is attending university. On one of his daily ferry trips, he runs into Carol and her questionable boyfriend, Hamish Bevis. Unabashed by her relationship status, Stuart pursues Carol due to her expression of mutual attraction. Amid this relationship drama, World War Two is in full swing. This alternative history gives the victory to the German Nazi’s, who waste no time in implementing their New Order, and occupying New Zealand.

Looking for recruits, many Kiwis join the Blitzkrieg Boys with the promise of handsome pay, security, and adventure. Stung by the bitterness of Carol’s rejection, Hamish joins up immediately. Fueled by his jealousy, he also marks Stuart and Carol as terrorists to the New Order. Recognizing the danger, Stuart, Carol, and some friends run away to join a resistance group where they train for combat, plan ambushes, and pull off rescue missions. How long can they remain hidden with a jilted boyfriend hunting them down with the force of the Nazi’s behind him? Will the resistance be successful in their efforts?

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. The characters had depth, the drama was rich, and the storyline was believable. I appreciated the maturity of the subject. World War Two was a horrible event which took millions of lives. I was concerned that an alternative history could be taking this subject matter lightly. I felt that the author was successful in handling the events of the war respectfully. There were a few mildly graphic sex scenes, but they were short. There was also some brief strong language.

I give Uncommon Enemy by John Reynolds 4 out of 4 stars. This book was such an adventure. You do not have history to rely on to know how it ends which made it more thrilling. The theme of fully trusting and taking care of the ones you love was a touching note woven throughout the book. The only problem I had was the ending was quite abrupt. I felt there was little resolution to the whole of the story. It however, did not detract from my four stars rating, it just makes me want there to be a second book! I feel that anyone interested in romance, drama, danger, history, and action will love this book.

Uncommon Enemy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like k2rugman's review? Post a comment saying so!
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

The title of the book was quite attractive. I like the fact it was believable and easy to relate with. A book where romance is couple with adventure, danger, thrips will definitely be a good one for me to read. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely interesting to consider alternatives to what actually happened in history. Sounds like this is done well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great review. I love when authors show the other side of humanity that most of us keep hidden. The author has demonstrated how relationships can have adverse effects on us if not checked properly
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Awesome review. I can't imagine what could've happened had the Nazis won.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mohsencairo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mohsencairo »

romance, drama, danger, history, and action will Able to find ourselve's who we are. Thanks for the review.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I would definately love this book as well. Thank you for this excellent review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I will enjoy reading this novel, being it has a bit of history, romance, and danger. Great review.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

This novel seem appealing to my ears. I am really interested to read this one. I want to give this book a try. thanks for sharing your thoughts in here.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Historical Fiction”