Official Review: The Big Buddha Bicycle Race

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: The Big Buddha Bicycle Race

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Big Buddha Bicycle Race" by Terence A. Harkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Terence A. Harkin’s novel, The Big Buddha Bicycle Race, is set in Thailand during the Vietnam War in the early 1970s, telling the story of Brendan Leary’s war experience and the relationship between American troops and the Thai people who accommodated them. Amazon classifies the novel as literary fiction or historical romance.

Pacifist Brendan Leary’s draft-dodging luck has run out when his lawyer failed to stop his orders to ship out to Southeast Asia. His safe job editing film for the army at their base in California ends when Brendan ships out to his new base in exotic Ubon, Thailand. There, his work involves editing combat footage for the 601st Photo Squadron. He is reasonably safe from deployment until he participates in a Black Panther march and his superior officers assign him to the position of combat cameraman for the Spectre night flights over the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

He lives off base in downtown Ubon, sharing a house with fellow G.I.s and their Thai girlfriends. Living in town gives them the opportunity to integrate closely with the Thais, and Brendan makes friends there, among them Tukada, a beautiful, heroin-addicted masseuse he becomes attracted to, and her half-brother Prasert. Brendan organises a bicycle race to Big Buddha, scheduled for the weekend before President Nixon arrives in China. The race serves many purposes: as a personal relations gesture to the Thais from the American soldiers, a means to make money, and a way to celebrate what Brendan and his friends believed was the ending of the Vietnam War. Although the race begins well and all participants are in high spirits, Brendan worries about Tukada, who has gone missing, and the other G.I.s doubt Prasert’s friendship and loyalty to the American army.

The novel started slowly, but once Brendan arrives in Ubon, the story picks up since Brendan’s impressions of the town and its people are so vivid; it felt like I was there with the character hanging out in clubs, enduring the monsoon and frightening flights over the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Being a freethinking pacifist in G.I.’s clothing gives Brendan a different perspective of the war compared to blindly obedient soldiers or those who relish it. Harkin has a talent for description and expressing the finer facets of thought and the existential crises Brendan goes through during the course of his enlistment. However, the story encompasses much more than tragedy. Harkin is a witty visual writer, and the humour in The Big Buddha Bicycle Race is subtle but memorable. The dialogue is on point. Some of the conversations between the characters reminded me of those in Pulp Fiction, as they sound real and are immersive.

Overall, The Big Buddha Bicycle Race is a superbly crafted story anyone who is interested in literary fiction, as well as war stories, especially those set during the Vietnam War, will appreciate. The author provides a helpful glossary of the Thai phrases and army terminology used in the book. There are no editing problems at all so I can rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars with confidence.

The Big Buddha Bicycle Race
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

This sounds like a good one for sure: I love it when the dialogue is true to life! And it seems very well put together, with a glossary and no editing errors. A great review! Thank you.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound quite good. I really would change the name though. It didn't do it for me. Your review on the other hand made me think about reading this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

kandscreeley wrote:It does sound quite good. I really would change the name though. It didn't do it for me. Your review on the other hand made me think about reading this. Thanks.
I agree about the title - it is a mouthful and it didn't grab me much at the beginning, but I'm glad I chose it anyway.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Sounds great, and educational at the same time. Thanks for the review!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This is definitely not what I think of when I think of historical fiction set during the Vietnam Era. This one sounds like a refreshing one, focusing on the positive.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like this story has a different take on the Vietnam War and the relationship between Americans and the native people. Usually, Vietnam War's stories focus on the war and how it was fought.

Thanks for the good review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review! I love reading historical war-style books. I'm just reading now a book about World War II and it's fantastic as well. I'll probably pick up yours soon too.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Your review was very engaging. The book is very timely given the current star status of "The Vietnam War" airing on PBS right now. A couple of things that struck me were your description of the protagonist as "a free thinking pacifist in GI clothing". Also, I don't know that there are any books out there about the Vietnam War that are set in Thailand, so this also interested me.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'd pick this one, Lest92, historical books have begun to appeal to me, great job.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

It is a nice action and fiction book. I will rate it 4 out of 4. Thanks for the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Based on the title and cover, I wouldn't have imagined there was romance in the story. I enjoy reading romance stories. Also, it's great when the author achieves to make the reader immerse in the story with his writing style. Thanks for the review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed your well-written, thorough review! The plot sounds interesting, although the title made me think the story was going to be about something completely different.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I liked the title of the book. While it isn't what I thought it would be about, I like historical fiction that takes place in other countries and think I would enjoy this book. Thank you fir the review.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review. the book sound interesting upon reading your review. You made me convince to read this one, I will give it a try. Thanks for your fine review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Historical Fiction”