Official Review: 1874 by RJ Bessonette

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Official Review: 1874 by RJ Bessonette

Post by mratdegraff91 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "1874" by RJ Bessonette.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author R. J. Bassonette shares his love of history in this exciting western novel, 1874, inspired by the life of his grandmother. He uses ideas from her personal experiences out west within his novel. Published in June 2016, this author creates a magnificent piece to spark the imagination of the old west.

Oregon territory in 1874 was raw open country proven to change the lives of those daring to live on its land. The discovery of gold in California brought even more individuals west during this time. In the small town of Dalles, in Wasco County Oregon, a murder took place on a local homestead. Sheriff Donnley decides the person responsible must not escape especially with winter moving in early. He involves native tracker Three Fingered Jack to locate the man while he forms a posse to bring him down. Their task takes them all over the rugged landscape they call home, to track down this former hired hand and bring him to justice. Along the way, significant people join the posse to take down this man including a Texas Ranger, local ranchmen, townspeople, former army men, and a fantastic cook. They encounter a variety of Native American tribes and dangerous winter weather that they must overcome to locate this rouge.

This novel focuses strongly on the theme of justice while tying in loyalty. There has been a murder, and many seek to bring about justice to keep the rouge from killing again. Loyalty is shown in the men of the posse as they develop loyalty to sheriff Donnley as a leader, and also to the cause to bring this man to justice. Even when different characters show distinct differences in how they would go about locating this man, they continue to follow Donnley.

The characters of this novel were creative and came from different backgrounds. Sheriff Donnley is an Irishman, Three Fingered Jack is native American, Florez is Hispanic, and Tyler, a Texan. The story focused mostly on Donnley and Jack until the end of the novel. They worked together to track this mysterious hired hand known later as Hank. Donnley is the first Irish sheriff west of St. Louis, and strives to fill all his duties for his town. Tyler joins the posse along the way, and is a former Texas Ranger now living in Oregon country. Florez works for Donnley and assists in all his sheriff duties. These men play strong roles in the posse and help develop the plot.

The story had great attributes when it came to characters, scenery, and imagination. The posse grew larger as the story progressed and seemed to draw me in more as they moved further from home to locate Hank, the killer. The story goes back and forth between Jack and individuals of the posse as they travel, transitioning the reader smoothly along to see how these people adjusted to the landscape and weather. The plot of the story was easy to follow with these transitions.

Something I did not like as I finished the novel, was the fact that at no point did it explain why Three Fingered Jack had such a nickname as a tracker with no missing fingers. The author mentioned that he was an amazing tracker, the best in the west, back in his younger days but not where his nickname originated. I also observed a few grammatical errors towards the end. There weren’t so many errors to detract from the flow of the story which lead me to give this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars.

The novel had several scenes involving fighting but nothing dealing with a lot of blood or gore. This book would be a great story for younger readers and anyone interested in westerns. It was a short read lasting only 162 pages according to Amazon making it an easy page turner for a variety of readers.

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mratdegraff91's review? Post a comment saying so!
Madison Degraffenreid
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I love a good historical novel, and a nice quick read too :D Thank you for a lovely review!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Nice review.
It will be really nice to know how police investigations was done in the 1870's
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your review. I hadn't heard of this book before; it sounds pretty interesting from your description. It doesn't sound like the mystery of the naming of Three-Fingered Jack ever gets solved.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like stories I've heard of that time before. At least it sounds like the author put his own spin on things. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a really good novel and I look forward to reading it. I like mystery and suspense novels. This book seems like a combination of that genre with the historical genre. A win win situation all around. Great review!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Like many of the others above, I also enjoy great historical fiction. Or maybe semi-fiction in this case. Will keep this in mind next time I'm feeling old-timey.
Kimbo93
Bookshelf Size: 500
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimbo93.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Kimbo93 »

I've put this on my to-read list. I enjoyed your review.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the diversity of the characters, which represent how people in the US came from different backgrounds since its origins. Historically, it is true that Irish, Hispanics, Native Americans, and colonists lived in the West. There was also a big immigrant wave from China.

Thanks for the good review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Judging from your review, the cover of this book fits in perfectly with its plot. I was drawn in by the cover. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Most of the fiction that I've seen from this era is more focused on romance. It's nice to see something that is focused on the issues of the time period.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

It sounds interesting judging from your review, I may decide to go with this one
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

I love that book. A combination of loyalty which which cannot be bought and a sense of duty seem to drive the men in their quest. The book also shows how difficult it was to enforce the law at that time due to lack of infrastructure and communication. Great review I love it
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

This sounds like an amazing story. I too would wonder why three fingered Jack received his name. This will definitely go on my to read list.
Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Return to “Historical Fiction”