Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American River: Tributaries" by Mallory M. O'Connor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

American River:Tributaries by Mallory M. O’Connor is book one of the American River trilogy. Written in the third person perspective, the story is told through various characters.

Marian McPhalan has decided to leave California and go to Boston with one of her daughters, Alex, to pursue her dream of becoming an artist. She leaves behind her husband, Owen, and two children, Julian and Kate, at their home, the Mockingbird Valley Ranch, located on the bank of the American River in Northern California. That ranch has been there for almost a century when Owen’s grandfather built it after he immigrated from Ireland. The Ashidas also live at the Mockingbird Valley Ranch and help the McPhalans with chores at the ranch. In Boston, Marian meets Carl, a musician, and they start a love affair. However their love affair only lasts during the summer and they go on their separate ways until later on in the story when a sudden event forces them to relive their past. Meanwhile, Kate and Tommy Ashida fall in love with each other, but they try to keep their relationship a secret. However, Owen finds out, and the Ashidas are forced to move out. When Kate and Tommy attend different colleges, they try to keep their love for each other alive, but Kate’s feelings for Tommy start to wane. Meanwhile, Julian runs away from home and tries to start a new life in San Francisco. At first, he is doing well since he has a job and a place to stay. However, he becomes involved with drugs and has to do some unsavory things to finance his way of life. As each of the characters struggle to find love, acceptance , or even peace, their fates are linked in a way that will lead to both happiness and heartbreak.

For the most part, I had no trouble keeping up with the names of various characters and their role in the story. The author also included a list of characters at the beginning of the book which was helpful because there were so many introduced in the book. Because of the various characters, the story also has a complex storyline. Despite this, I found the book to be very well-written and easy to read. Also, a map of the American river included at the beginning of the book was helpful in visualizing the river and other places mentioned in the book.

Moreover, the suspense and the tension between the characters as well as the characters themselves made this an interesting book to read. Not only were they realistic, but they were also relatable. The struggles of the characters to find love, acceptance, and purpose is what made them easy to relate to. For example, Julian is gay and has a hard time getting his dad to understand him. Luckily, he has Kate to support him, but he goes through so many trials that I felt sorry for him.

Throughout the entire book, the author touches themes and subjects that were controversial not only in those times, but in our times as well. In the book, there are mentions of biracial and gay relationships, affairs, prostitution, and racism. All these things make this book so realistic, and I’m sure can be relatable to many people. However, I know some readers are uncomfortable with these subjects so I would suggest to keep an open mind while reading the book. On the other hand, I like how the author incorporated art and music into her book as it made the book more unique.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Because of the complex storyline and the realistic portrayal of the characters, I found this book to be an enjoyable read. I also didn’t notice any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes either. I recommend this book to those who like to read historical fiction novels.

American River: Tributaries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I love the complex struggles of life depicted in this story, excellent review, ZenaLei7
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Great review. The complexity of this one attracts me, and I like that the characters are realistic and relatable. How long is the book? Thanks :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It doesn't sound like one I would particularly enjoy. Sometimes, though, once I start something I get involved even though it isn't my thing. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Reuben 92 wrote:Great review. The complexity of this one attracts me, and I like that the characters are realistic and relatable. How long is the book? Thanks :)
It is about 350 pages. Thanks for reading!

-- 21 Sep 2017, 12:19 --
kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It doesn't sound like one I would particularly enjoy. Sometimes, though, once I start something I get involved even though it isn't my thing. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading!

-- 21 Sep 2017, 12:19 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I love the complex struggles of life depicted in this story, excellent review, ZenaLei7
Thanks!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html

Post by Reuben 92 »

Great! Thank you for the quick reply!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I love character driven novels, and this one sounds like an enjoyable one. I’m glad you liked it so much, and even more glad the author painted realistic and relatable characters. Nice review :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like this story really draws in the reader with it's complexity. The overall subject sounds like a nice, relaxing book for the beach.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

MarisaRose wrote:I love character driven novels, and this one sounds like an enjoyable one. I’m glad you liked it so much, and even more glad the author painted realistic and relatable characters. Nice review :)
It was an enjoyable read! Thanks for reading!

-- 21 Sep 2017, 16:36 --
CatInTheHat wrote:It sounds like this story really draws in the reader with it's complexity. The overall subject sounds like a nice, relaxing book for the beach.
Thanks for reading!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This sounds like a great book, but you listed it as a historical fiction, though no mention was made of a time period. Thanks for the otherwise great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Emie Cuevas wrote:This sounds like a great book, but you listed it as a historical fiction, though no mention was made of a time period. Thanks for the otherwise great review.
The first part of the book was around the mid-1800s while the rest of the book was around the 1960s. Thanks for reading.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I enjoy reading historical fiction. Your review is spot on, pointing out the complexity of the characters and plot, which is something I like seeing in the books I read.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kislany wrote:I enjoy reading historical fiction. Your review is spot on, pointing out the complexity of the characters and plot, which is something I like seeing in the books I read.
Thanks for reading!
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I like the complexity of this novel. The characters sound very realistic and their struggles are relevant. I think I would enjoy reading this book. Thank you for your very well written review, informative review. I am adding this book to my bookshelf.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Elle Howard wrote:I like the complexity of this novel. The characters sound very realistic and their struggles are relevant. I think I would enjoy reading this book. Thank you for your very well written review, informative review. I am adding this book to my bookshelf.
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Historical Fiction”