Official Review: Dina's Lost Tribe by Brigitte Goldstein

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Dina's Lost Tribe by Brigitte Goldstein

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dina's Lost Tribe" by Brigitte Goldstein.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dina´s Lost Tribe, a novel by Brigitte Goldstein, looks at the persecution of Jewish people through the stories of two women living centuries apart.

When Henner, a Jewish history professor, unexpectedly hears from his cousin Nina asking him to meet her in France, he has no idea what to expect. Nina, top of her field in gender studies, disappeared without a trace five years ago, severing all ties to her family. When Henner is reunited with her, not only is she no longer the vibrant young woman he remembers, she comes with an incredible historical artifact. She has found a codex, a letter written by Dina, a Jewish woman living in medieval times, to her sons. Henner, forced to flee Nazi persecution as a child, can see many similarities between his past and Dina´s, as she vividly illustrates her life as the town pariah.

While to historians this sort of contact with history is a veritable gold mine, it hides an even more important secret which Nina, and now Henner, are caught up in. Are they able to keep the origin of the codex, a Utopian society hidden deep in the mountains, a secret from the world, or will they be part of its destruction?

Written in first person from Henner´s view point, the reader is able to see the dilemma which Henner faces. He is divided between his scholarly appreciation of the chance to have firsthand contact with evidence from medieval times, and his overriding concern for his cousin. Henner is a well-balanced character with both strengths and weaknesses, which lends a realism and depth to the story. Nina is obviously a more headstrong, idealistic and emotional character, and the two of them complement each other very well. Dina is portrayed as an incredible woman struggling through one hardship after the next with both dignity and faith.

Set in America and France, the story travels through both distance and time. The book is set up to follow Henner and Nina, with areas set aside for Dina´s story. As someone with very little knowledge of Jewish history or religion, other than the holocaust, this was very interesting reading. The persecution of people for their faith and way of life has spanned centuries and this is illustrated well here, not only with the Jews, but with any group of people who don’t follow society’s perception of normal.

While this novel tackles heavy subjects of religion, war, and rape, the story was never depressing, in fact, there was an overall feeling of hope and solidarity in the face of adversity. The interludes of Dina´s story were vividly and eloquently detailed, almost unrealistically so for that era. However, even this aspect was explained in the story later on, which helped add to the realism.

Overall I enjoyed this book. It was well edited, the writing flow was smooth and easy to read, and the story itself was great. It was eye opening to learn more about a religion, as well as a period in history from Dina´s personal perspective. This was obviously a very well researched book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend it to any who like Jewish history, the different aspects of faith and religion, as well as some mystery and intrigue.

Dina's Lost Tribe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice that this book tackles such hard subjects, and yet it manages to stay up beat! Thanks for a nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like a difficult subject was handled in a good way in this story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The holocaust sure was a dark time for the jews. I like that the book doesn't have that "pity me" vibe.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'm a little conversant with Jewish history and I'd like very much to read this, sounds perfect.
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I enjoy novels that are set in different geographical locations. Dina´s Lost Tribe's American and French settings appeal to me. I am also attracted to the book's Jewish persecution content.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Wow! Sounds like one great book. I like it already. I love that the book has an 'overall feeling of hope and solidarity' kind of lightens up what I, for one, know about Jewish history and religion. Good job on the review. Congratulations to Brigitte Goldstein on such an obviously well written book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”