Official Review: West of Cayuga by Jim Little

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: West of Cayuga by Jim Little

Post by Mollymae »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "West of Cayuga" by Jim Little.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading West of Cayuga was a trip back into time. I chose the book specifically for that reason. The author, Jim Little, had a very interesting idea. After having completed a family genealogy, he decided to write a book based on what he had learned about their participation in the Civil War. Apparently he had family that fought on both sides during the war. That alone promises to be an interesting premise.

The story follows the Little family. It opens with Archy Little and his sons, Green, James, and Robert. The family is Quaker and do not believe in slavery. Yet they do have an African American, Jeb, living and working on the farm. Jeb and his family introduce some very interesting conflict into the story. As the Little family spreads north in pursuit of a better way of life, Archy sends Jeb along to keep him safe from local vigilantes. With Jeb gone, his wife Samantha and their children are taken and sold into slavery. Then the war begins. James Little and Jeb end up fighting for the North while Green and his son, David, fight for the South. Jeb hoping to locate and save his wife during his travels.

The book is historical fiction and I feel the author did a good job with authenticity. He was able to track the family through various battles and the reader gets a good feel for the period. He was careful to include period dialogue when possible. Although I did find it improbable that the family members tended to meet on the battlefield. Some might find that an intriguing story twist, but I found it to be unrealistic and felt it detracted from the overall piece.

I thought the character Jeb lent the most to the book. He was steadfast in his efforts to find his wife. He showed bravery and dealt with the prevalent racism of the period with intelligence and resilience. He was a character that I could admire.

However, I found the plot lacking. There was a recitation of activity but very little in the way of leading the reader on to the next chapter. Although there were bits that showed true promise, I didn’t feel any excitement or suspense when reading this book. There were also pieces of family history that were included but did not actually add to the storyline. Overall, I rate this book at 3 out of 4 stars and feel it would be most appreciated by history buffs.

West of Cayuga
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mollymae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

The Civil War to end slavery is Abraham Lincoln's greatest legacy to mankind. I wonder if he's mentioned anywhere in the story. Thanks for a good review that makes me want to find out the full story.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html

Post by Mollymae »

Abraham Lincoln is mentioned in the book but the Little family doesn't have any interaction with him. I hope you do get a chance to read it.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I would imagine that meeting on the battlefield brought out some pretty significant emotions. I can't imagine what a father or brother would do if his commander said "shoot" in that scenario. Well, actually, I'd hope they'd disobey but one never knows with the adrenaline rushes and high emotions. It'd be hard to explain when one returned home.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow. This is a trip back in time that I want to take. Great premise. I actually find it hard to feel suspense in most books because I can easily figure out what is coming ahead unless it is a comedy. Great review.
blacksand22
Currently Reading: Dead Souls
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by blacksand22 »

When I'am reading this, it felts like am the guy. Haha
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love historical fictions because they can be entertaining but also they are filled with historical and educational content that can benefit readers. It's unfortunate that the plot was lacking.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I understand what you mean by no flow. I'm not that much into history, so this probably isn't the book for me. I have a feeling that there were quite a few families who had members fighting on both sides. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review! The premise of the story sounds interesting - family members who fought on both sides during the Civil War. It's too bad the book didn't live up to your expectations. It's difficult to read a book if there isn't much propelling the plot forward from chapter to chapter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I don't think that I will read this because of the issues that you mentioned, but I like the idea of the book. Thanks for the review.
James Daniel
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by James Daniel »

Wow this book is amazing
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I would not mind reading this book because of the history in it. The scope sounds good. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”