Romancing The Rogue By Erica Ridley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Romancing The Rogue By Erica Ridley

Post by Birdlady1950 »

STORY-LINE ROMANCING THE ROGUE:

Author Erica Ridley crafted a first class regency gothic historical novel in Romancing The Rogue. Rebecca Bond's orphaned and sent to Castle Keyvnor, Bocka Morrow, Cornwall, England. Her Uncle, the Lord of Castle Keyvnor, promptly forgets she exists. As a result, living in seclusion, taking over the books for the estate, leaving notes for the servants and estate manager, Rebecca's lonely existence become the norm for her. Seen as a shadow or ghost, Rebecca's placed in an awful situation. Upon the death of the old Lord, Rebecca finds a new Lord in charge of the castle and estate. Told by the new Lord she must marry within three months and leave the castle, Rebecca's left at sixes and nines.

Threatening to find a husband for her, Rebecca can not let him choose her husband. Rebecca's determined to find a good man even though she has always loved Daniel Goodenham, Lord North-Barrows. Even after the direct cut from Daniel, she loved him. Living with the hurt of his betrayal, the loss her place in society, and the blow of her parents death, she still carries feeling for Daniel.

Daniel has never forgotten or forgiven himself for what he did to Rebecca. When his presence's requested for the will reading, he's determined to beg forgiveness from Rebecca. Rebecca plans for Daniel to teach her how to snare a husband. Who better than this well-known rogue to teach her what she needs to know to snare a husband who will appreciate her and her talents. Come along with Daniel and Rebecca as they travel the road of guilt, forgiveness, and possibly love.

My reviews for regency historical Gothic romance novel Romancing The Rogue follows; grab your favorite beverage and enjoy my review.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Although a regency romance, this novel's also considered a Gothic tale as it takes place in a dark forbidding castle. Ridley grabs the reader quickly as she crafts a story filled with emotion. I ran the gauntlet of emotions reading this book; from great sadness to great joy, and all the emotions in between. I felt great sadness for the life Rebecca lived and the hurt Daniel inflicted. Her inability to believe Daniel's sincerity and her insecurities were believable and realistic; after all he had ruined her life with nothing other than words. Ridley crafted a strong independent character in Rebecca, giving her the ability to survive what her life became.

Creating strong characters with strong personalities, Ridley plotted this book with skill. I could see the dark forbidding castle from her descriptions, along with the intricate garden maze. The growth of Daniel from the beginning of the book to last pages was wonderful. Even though he was active in politics he was also a waster; drinking, women, and parties; Daniel grows by leaps and bounds.

Also, the pacing of the story was on target with the length of the book. Although a short read of 188 pages, Ridley included everything needed to create an intriguing emotional story. Additionally, in concluding my reviews for regency historical Gothic romance novel Romancing The Rogue, I found a solid entertaining story filled with emotion, and strong characters. Ridley created a clean romance which had no need of sex as the story-line and characters sell the book and satisfy the reader. Furthermore, I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend.

ROMANCING THE ROGUE RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

Additionally, I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest regency gothic historical romance book/novel review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, the ARC did not affect my voluntary reviews for regency historical Gothic romance novel.

Return to “Historical Fiction”