Official Review: Dig or Die by Kenneth Redline

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Dig or Die by Kenneth Redline

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dig or Die" by Kenneth Redline.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dig or Die is a historical novel by Kenneth Redline. Believed to have been written in the 1930’s, the book lay forgotten in a closet until his death. When his daughter discovered it, she decided to type it up as a memento for family. As she edited the book, however, she realized what a great novel her father had written and decided to have it published.

The story centers on the Emmet “Judy” Redding. The reason Redding enters into the armed forces is one heard often - he joined in order to see the world. The actually “job” he joined to do was to play on a sporting team. For Redding, the sport was baseball. He played all year round, traveling with the team. Everything was great until World War I came on the scene and impacted his plans. Redding finds himself shipped to Europe, trained, and fighting in one campaign after another. In between, he picks up the local language and a deep appreciation for France, both the people and the countryside. The story follows the events that continue to shape Redding as he rises in rank and progresses from a green soldier to an experienced Sergeant who, in turn, is leading new and inexperienced soldiers. The reader also gets to know Redding’s fellow soldiers. We learn to appreciate those who arrive at the same time as he, those he meets later, and those who are lost along the way. The bond between the men and the bond they form with the people of France is woven throughout the story of Redding’s service in the war.

There are many admirable aspects of this book. The treatment of the brutality of the war was most impressive. Most people have never been in a battle, and get their frame of reference for one from movies or television. Redline’s descriptions make the graphic violence and the sensory overwhelm real. The reader not only develops an understanding of a battle but the personal experience of the soldier in the midst of one. The author also does a masterful job illustrating the relationship between the military forces and the peoples of the region. Often, the soldiers are not French, and Redline provides deeply believable portraits of locals, especially women. It’s to be noted that many of the men in France are absent from their homes; they are fighting the war, or have already died in the fighting. The women, remaining behind, find ways to survive, by befriending (or more intimately involving themselves with) soldiers, by working for the enemy, and by forming romantic liaisons. The author is honest, but not judgmental. He brings this same honesty to the impact of the brutal, unrelenting violence on the soldiers themselves, from the difficulty some find in controlling their own violent tendencies to the rampant alcoholism the men use to self-medicate throughout the battles.

On the topic of violence: the presentation of brutality in this book is present, but feels honest and never gratuitous. To some extent, it is troubling, but that is a normal response to the actions of war. Rather than feeling overly disturbed, I found I had a better appreciation for what actually happens in war and why. Readers will discover a personal understanding of the toll war takes on the foot soldiers, the men at the lowest end of the ranks, who are often taking the highest personal risk. If a reader is overly sensitive to scenes of realistic violence, this may be a book they want to skip.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Dig or Die is a well-crafted tale that captures the imagination and holds the attention. This book will appeal to any readers who enjoy historical fiction with a high degree of accuracy and realistic, relatable characters.

Dig or Die
View: on Bookshelves

Like SandraTWP-BRW's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great war story. I like the part 'The author is honest, but not judgmental' in the review. The author seems to be a very objective observer. Good job on the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

War is definitely violent, there is no way around that. It sounds like he treated the violence well though. I love that this was found by his family and published. What a great tribute to him!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This is such an interesting premise; I love that the book was found after a great amount of time and published. What a great family memento. Great job on the review!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow! I didn't know people used to join the armed forces to play sports! I wonder if that is still a thing. This sounds like a very well-thought through, well-written novel. Kudos to the author, and double kudos to the daughter who discovered and published it! Thanks for the review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Wow, what an interesting back story, and it sounds like an interesting read. Great review!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Awesome discovery! It sounds like a really graphic and faithful account of war. I'd never heard of this one before - thanks for bringing it to my attention. i really enjoyed your review.
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Historical Fiction”