Official Review: I, Walter by Mike Hartner

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: I, Walter by Mike Hartner

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I, Walter" by Mike Hartner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written in the form of an autobiography or memoir, I, Walter by Mike Hartner is a story of an unlikely hero and philanthropist born in England in the late 1500’s. Walter narrates as though he were writing his life story when he is near death. His story begins when he runs from home around age 12 in search of a better life than his father would provide. After scraping an existence as best as he can, Walter meets with a man named Bert who convinces Walter to join the royal navy as a crew member. Fortunately for Walter, Bert is an honorable man who becomes Walter’s mentor and friend.

Honesty, a sense of fair play, and generosity rule Walter’s daily decisions as well as choices he makes when under significant pressure—such as fighting off a crew of pirates or defending the honor of girl captured by pirates. When Walter meets the love of his life, he wants nothing more than to prove himself worthy of asking her hand in marriage and sets out to search for ways to become wealthy. It is nearly impossible in this time period for someone of low birth to raise in position. Will the gods favor Walter in his quest? As a sailor in the royal navy, Walter faces a multitude of perilous situations. Pirates, nobility, danger, and mystery are all key players in Walter’s life.

When I review a book, I specifically look at the overall storyline, the pacing, and character development. Overall, I, Walter is a very easy read and has an adequate plot. The exciting action-filled pace and harrowing near-death experiences easily kept my attention. Regarding character development, Walter is generally a likable fellow, although he goes through life generally unaware of how he is perceived by others. Most of the other characters are somewhat flat, but the dialogue is overall solid and interesting. I also really like the fact that the romance is sweet and clean.

My biggest complaint is that I am not convinced that the author thoroughly researched history before writing. The time period felt more like a general setting than an integral part of the story. Mentions of actual historical people are rare and often vague. Even the king of England was referred to as “the King” throughout, although King James VI would have been the king of England. The author also introduces significant confusion about the king of Spain at the time. For these reasons, I take any history provided with a grain of salt. Some of the spelling was unusual to me, such as “sayling” instead of “sailing.” I guessed this was an attempt to provide some authenticity to the historical setting.

Overall, I rate this 3 out of 4 stars. I found the storyline to be unique and refreshing, but would not consider this to be solid historical fiction, even though set in the 1500’s. If the characters were better developed, I might be tempted to give this a solid 4, despite the lack of any solid historical authenticity.

I, Walter
View: on Bookshelves

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I think an author should definitely do his research before writing a book like this. I don't know if I want to read a historical fiction if there really isn't much history. Thanks for the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the limited historical information. It seems like the author focused mainly on the plot. Good job on the review.
greenstripedgiraffe

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds interesting. Too bad, though, about the limited historical information. It seems like the author focused mainly on the plot. Good job on the review.
Yes, I think he did skimp a bit on the history part. Thanks!

-- 15 Mar 2017, 13:17 --
kandscreeley wrote:Interesting. I think an author should definitely do his research before writing a book like this. I don't know if I want to read a historical fiction if there really isn't much history. Thanks for the review though.
I do prefer a historical fiction with a real feel to it. The plot was interesting enough, though :) Thanks for reading my review!
Tmn126
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmn126.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tmn126 »

Thank you for this review. I am always interested in historical fiction. I'm a homeschool mom, and I think this genre can help history become real and relatable for my children more than a dry textbook ever could. However, when the history in a book is vague or inaccurate, it does sort of defeat the purpose. So that's really helpful information to have from a review. It doesn't necessarily make the book bad, but it does impact the reasons I might have fore reading it.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting! Too bad about the lack of sufficient research. I am glad you still enjoyed the book. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
greenstripedgiraffe

Tmn126 wrote:Thank you for this review. I am always interested in historical fiction. I'm a homeschool mom, and I think this genre can help history become real and relatable for my children more than a dry textbook ever could. However, when the history in a book is vague or inaccurate, it does sort of defeat the purpose. So that's really helpful information to have from a review. It doesn't necessarily make the book bad, but it does impact the reasons I might have fore reading it.
Thank you for reading my review! I do hope it helped.

-- 17 Mar 2017, 07:46 --
gali wrote:Sounds interesting! Too bad about the lack of sufficient research. I am glad you still enjoyed the book. Thank you for the great review!
Thank you! :)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the thorough review! I love that the plot is so captivating. However, when I read a historical fiction piece, I thrive on the factual information. Because this book lacked the historical pieces, I believe it is not for me. I'm glad, though, that you were still able to enjoy this read despite its flaws. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
greenstripedgiraffe

hsimone wrote:Thank you for the thorough review! I love that the plot is so captivating. However, when I read a historical fiction piece, I thrive on the factual information. Because this book lacked the historical pieces, I believe it is not for me. I'm glad, though, that you were still able to enjoy this read despite its flaws. :)
Thank you for your your kind comments. I was surprised at the lack of historicity! I think I would classify it in "other fiction" rather than "historical fiction." :lol:
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I love historical fiction, but mostly because I find the storyline that is based on true events fascinating and I like reading about complex characters. Sometimes a story just has one of those things, but it doesn't sound like this book hits my quota. You wrote a nice, honest review though, so thank you!
greenstripedgiraffe

godreaujea wrote:I love historical fiction, but mostly because I find the storyline that is based on true events fascinating and I like reading about complex characters. Sometimes a story just has one of those things, but it doesn't sound like this book hits my quota. You wrote a nice, honest review though, so thank you!
I love historical fiction because of the fascination with learning about history! So, if the accuracy is dubious, my enjoyment is dubious =D
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

Thanks for your inciteful review. I agree that the historical setting should play an integral role in any good historical fiction, though the adventure sounds exciting in this book!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Walter is a resilient young man. I hope he is able to make a bold statement and rise financially desire his humble background. Great review
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

This is a great review! I’ve always loved historical fiction, but only those that are very detailed.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Unique plot, seems like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”