Featured Review: The Sins of Soldiers by S J Hardman Lea

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Featured Review: The Sins of Soldiers by S J Hardman Lea

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sins of Soldiers" by S J Hardman Lea.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sins of Soldiers by S J Hardman Lea tells the fictional tale of Anson Scott, an American journalist undercover as a British soldier during World War I. Anson’s mission is to understand and report on the daily life of British soldiers fighting on the Western Front; if caught, he could be tried and convicted as a traitorous spy, a designation that surely warrants the death penalty. Much to Anson’s surprise, he finds solace in his comrades as well as in the life of a soldier. Anson must decide what type of soldier he will be when his best friend’s life is threatened by Company Captain Tollman. The Sins of Soldiers is as much a tale of war as it is a tale love and loss and what makes us human.

Though the narrative is written through the point of view of Anson, this does not detract from the overall feeling of well-developed characters. The author expertly gives insight into the background of other characters through Anson’s experiences. David Alexander and Captain Tollman, both incredibly pivotal characters, are both developed to full capacity. Through Anson’s eyes, we see Alexander and Tollman exuding personality traits that showcase the good and evil they represent. The actions of the main characters, though not always predictable, always make sense.

The emotion and imagery expressed in the author’s writing style were by far the most enjoyable aspects of the novel. It was easy to picture the war ridden fields and quaint French streets on which the story unfolds. Further, the use of foreshadowing by the narrator provides a sense of anticipation as well as an emotional awareness of impending ruin. Anson is a strong narrator with strong emotions that translate easily to the reader. For example, one pivotal scene halfway through the story finds Anson realizing how deeply he feels at home in the company of the other soldiers. Through Anson’s narration of this revelation, his sense of camaraderie and purpose emanated through the pages.

The only flaw worth mentioning is the overall pacing of the novel. The first half of the story progresses rather slowly; we are taken through the day to day life and feelings of a soldier. Though certain aspects of this storytelling were interesting and in some cases, compelling, the first half of the book tended to drag. It isn’t until the halfway point that any true notions of suspense occur. However, it is notable that the climactic events are all drawn together by events taking place earlier in the book and therefore, though the pacing could have been better, at least it did not feel like any sections of the book were pointless.

Despite the sometimes sluggish pacing of the novel, The Sins of Soldiers is an enjoyable and provocative read. The author foregoes overloading the reader with burdensome historical facts and focuses more on the human element. Therefore, I happily rate The Sins of Soldiers 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to fans of historical fiction and general fiction.

The Sins of Soldiers
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds very interesting. I think we could use more novels that are written from the point of view of a soldier. I'm uncertain whether I would like this one, though, because of the dragging in the first part of the story. Thanks for the nice review though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds very interesting. I think we could use more novels that are written from the point of view of a soldier. I'm uncertain whether I would like this one, though, because of the dragging in the first part of the story. Thanks for the nice review though!
Thank you for the kind words! The novel definitely provides an interestering perspective. Worth a try!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

It sounds too slow for my taste, but it sounds like an interesting read. I am glad you enjoyed it and found it a provocative read. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

gali wrote:It sounds too slow for my taste, but it sounds like an interesting read. I am glad you enjoyed it and found it a provocative read. Good job on the review!
Thank you! I can understand that this one may not be for everyone :)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Great review! Sounds a bit slow, but I would probably enjoy it just the same. I love that the characters are well-developed and real.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Slow or not, reading this one seems worth it - the human element in the work reminds me of All Quiet on the Western Front, so definitely a book I'd like to read. Congratulations on finding such an outstanding book to review:)
muqeet ahmad
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muqeet-ahmad.html

Post by muqeet ahmad »

best story i totally loved great work by the author i always enjoy reading these type of books i thinks more books should be published based on world war 1 or 2
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Great review! It sounds like an interesting book from a unique prospective!
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

The Sins of Soldiers is a captivating tale of love, loss and the First World War. It will certainly appeal to those interested in the period and the human impact that occurred as a result of war.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Lest92 wrote:Slow or not, reading this one seems worth it - the human element in the work reminds me of All Quiet on the Western Front, so definitely a book I'd like to read. Congratulations on finding such an outstanding book to review:)
I was thinking about All Quiet on the Western Front as I read this review too.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Owonikoko Olushola
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owonikoko-olushola.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Owonikoko Olushola »

Quite interesting, think about the loss, the love, war front, spying, courage summon (a journalist turning to soldier )and others. It's the best.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book not just of war but of love and life. I 'm not much into war books as I get too emotional when I read one, but this sounds like something I would enjoy. Great job on the review. Congratulations to S J Hardman Lea on such an obviously well written book.
mehmetakkoch
Currently Reading: Dark Healer
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by mehmetakkoch »

Telling the truths needs courage. The Soldier in the book is absolutely fighting against/for himself in order to reveal what is going on during the war and relief his consience from all happenings in these hard time. Maybe the book is the outcome of his big pyscological conditions. It is pretty impresing....
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

This book sounds really interesting...your review makes me think of 'But can the phoenix sing' by Christa Laird, a historical fiction novel that really captivated me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”