The Michaelmas Wager by Emily Murdoch

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

The Michaelmas Wager by Emily Murdoch

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Historical Fiction/Regency Romance

STORY-LINE A MICHAELMAS WAGER:

Rufus Lovell and Juliana Honeyfield feature in author Emily Murdoch’s regency romance novel, A Michaelmas Wager, along with Juliana’s best friend and cousin Audrey. Rufus came into his father’s wealth after the death of his waster brother. Falling in with a group of rowdy lazy drunkards from power and wealth, Rufus finds himself the center of their latest escapade. This wager will not turn out as the group thinks; at the center of the wager stands Miss Juliana Honeyfield. At the latest party in Hyde Park, waging Rufus will not marry the first woman to drink from the punch by Michaelmas, the rowdy bunch waits for the recipient of Rufus’ suit. Juliana’s the innocent dupe in their game as she fills her cup from the punch bowl.

So begins a match of hearts, misunderstandings, and deception, as Rufus with Juliana unaware of the wager, begins his suit. In Juliana, Rufus finds something he never expected. Grab a comfortable seat, my regency romance novel review of A Michaelmas Wager follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! Deception always comes back to bite you; will Rufus manage to carry out his mission or loose his heart to Juliana? In A Michaelmas Wager, author Emily Murdoch crafted a sweet romance providing an afternoon of light relaxing reading pleasure.

With a plot which developed smoothly, and characters growing throughout the book, Murdoch’s tale holds the reader’s attention. Rufus grows throughout the story-line; maturing and finding the true values in life. Audrey, as a secondary character, added depth to the story-line. Even though Audrey’s titled, she treats Juliana as an equal. With twists and turns, Murdoch leads the reader to an explosive conclusion; Rufus faces the ton, his waster friends, and Juliana. What will be the outcome? Grab an afternoon of entertainment in A Michaelmas Wager and find out.

Finally, in concluding my regency romance novel review of A Michaelmas Wager, I found a solid sweet regency romance. Murdoch filled A Michaelmas Wager with believable situations and characters. Murdoch’s clean sweet read had no need of sex to sell the story. Furthermore, her writing’s clear and clean with vivid descriptions. Although a short book, Murdoch included everything needed for a solid, light, clean, read.

A MICHAELMAS WAGER RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

In addition, I would not hesitate to buy this book for my self or a friend.

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

Additionally, I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest regency romance novel review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, the ARC did not affect my voluntary regency romance novel review.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Regency novels are quite interesting and can either be a major page turner or a played out story line far too cheesy for it's own good. This sounds like it is indeed a page turner and I look forward to reading it.

Also - from reading a lot of historical fiction, I have found Michaelmas to be an interesting topic.

Thank you for the wonderful review!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Return to “Historical Fiction”