Official Review: The Royal Secret by john bentley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Re: Official Review: The Royal Secret by john bentley

Post by constantine265 »

Thank you for the review. This book seems to have a distinctive Dan Brown wibe, which I like, although I did find his view of occultism a bit lacking and popularistic. I also like the elizabethan era aspects of the book, but I'm bit concerned with confusion you mentioned. I'll have to think about reading this book.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Booksaremything89929
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booksaremything89929 »

What is occultism??
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

Seems like there might be a bit too much rambling for me. Good review!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This sounds like it was a super great concept, but perhaps wasn't executed as well as it could have been. I love historical fiction and the parts about Elizabethan times sound really intriguing, but since it seems like the book gets a bit confusing and tangential sometimes, I'm not sure if it's worth the time... that's too bad because I really like the idea of a cross between a crime/mystery thriller and a historical drama.
Booksaremything89929

Post by Booksaremything89929 »

Can someone just explain who occtelism is??>
Shalom16
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalom16.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Shalom16 »

There have been many stories that provide parallel connections between different periods. This is difficult to do as this requires careful research even for works of fiction. I just hope the author nailed this spot on. Good job on the review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I'm not a history buff but this book does sound interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Thank You for the honest and well written review.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like a very interesting novel. Hopefully, the tangents and halting bits won't distract me too much from the heart of the story. Thanks for your detailed review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
emmyking
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmyking.html

Post by emmyking »

This novel weaves history and the modern era as a rich widow begins investigating her husband's death. The premise was good but there was too much. It was as if the author thought of every single conspiracy theory relating to every historical figure and decided to put them all in the same book. At times the prose was a little flowery and some of the sentences were rather long which meant that the text did not always flow.
professor26
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 42572">Edo Blood</a>
Currently Reading: The Master
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by professor26 »

Sounds like the book needed a good editor to tighten it up before publication. Pity about that. Otherwise, a very intriguing plot with some interesting historical aspects hat would certainly appeal to me. Good review ...apart from the awkward: "Elizabethan world unbeknownst to historical text." Does that mean that the historical milieu in the book does not truly represent Elizabethan history, what the Trump administratio might deem 'alternative facts'?
Cyndel Maria
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndel-maria.html

Post by Cyndel Maria »

I applaud the honest review as it sets future readers up well without interjecting any seeds of bias. History was never my forte in school so I can't say this particular read sounds like it would do it for me but it does sound like the ideal read for history & fantasy buffs. The halts and tangents sound like they would be distracting and possibly confusing especially given the genres - history and "new world" learnings are already not the easiest to stick with when reading, so I can understand the pauses being frustrating. Again, good honest review.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Post by AbbyC »

Wow! this looks really interesting! When I was younger I went through an Elizabethan phase and read so many biographies and fictional works set in the time. Reading about this book makes me want to get into that time period again. Great review!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

I'm not really sure what to think of this book. I'm a little confused
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

Hmm, this book sounds like a cross between Deborah Harkness' second book and Dan Brown's books. This could go either way - be really good, or fail miserably. Not sure if I need more confusion in my life, though. It goes on the back burner, for now...
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. It seems that even though there was exquisite detail, the confusion is too much. I am surprised to see that you gave it 3 stars based on your review, so I guess it was a book worth reading after all.

Return to “Historical Fiction”