Official Review: EndSanity by Jerry L West

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: EndSanity by Jerry L West

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "EndSanity" by Jerry L West.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

EndSanity is an inspiring and memorable book written by Jerry L. West.

JL Best, a scientist and a notably cunning man, wants nothing more than to be reunited with his estranged daughter Mary whom he has not seen for a long time. When Tiera, JL’s protégé invites Mary to an investors’ meeting which incidentally happens to be the venue of his husband George’s gig, Mary begins to feel suspicious. Everything seems to be orchestrated, and no one is clever enough to pull this thing off except her father whom she believes to be on to something in another attempt for reconciliation.

Meanwhile, representing ITRY, a small minority-owned company, Tiera and JL need all the help they can get to prepare for a demonstration against a major prime contractor, QUQU, for a possible contract with the government. With no chances of ever getting the contract against such a formidable opponent with long history with the government, JL has to be his most cunning, most creative and most innovative self to win the contract.

EndSanity is a book about change. As the author put it ‘it is a book about putting an end to behaviors that stifle imagination and creative thinking.’ It is a story about following your passion and doing the things that make you happy. It is about finding your purpose and working on it with everything you got. Furthermore, the book shows how something can be done and should be done, with unwavering determination, and sometimes, to the point of tenacity. The most important lesson I learned from this book is that you do not give up, ever, and whatever you do, you have to see it through no matter how hopeless and regardless of the result.

The pacing was steady for the first hundred pages and gradually picked up when the plot thickened. As some twists were presented and unexpected turns of events were introduced, suspense built up and the book ultimately ended with a satisfying denouement.

However, the book started out a little confusing. For starters, it was difficult to separate the author, Jerry L. West from the main fictional character JL Best, since the author clearly stated that the main character was actually himself represented by the fictional character JL Best, which made the book more like a memoir instead of fiction.

Moreover, except for the short narration at the beginning of each chapter, the scenes were written like a script for television series. Though I did not have any complaint about that particular format, I believe, however, that the character development suffered because of that. Of all the characters, only JL seemed to be distinctive. It was apparent that he was clever and inventive. Aside from him, however, the rest of the characters were not thoroughly described, therefore, difficult to relate to. I also had difficulty with the time shift which was not segued smoothly.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable book about love, family, friends, passion, dreams, courage and determination. I recommend it to readers who enjoy light read and feel-good reading materials.

EndSanity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Very nice review! I'm not sure if this book is for me, but I am glad that you liked it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Very nice review! I'm not sure if this book is for me, but I am glad that you liked it!
Thank you. It's an interesting book :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds interesting. I'm not sure this book is for everyone, but I will probably have to look into it a little more before I figure out if it's for me or not. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds interesting. I'm not sure this book is for everyone, but I will probably have to look into it a little more before I figure out if it's for me or not. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. It is an interesting book and I enjoyed it in spite of my issues.
Dondon almazan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dondon almazan »

Its an interesting book just keep writing
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Dondon almazan wrote:Its an interesting book just keep writing
Thank you and welcome to the forum.
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, thorough review! It's funny that you mentioned that the author stated that the main character was a fictionalized version of himself. When I first started reading the review, I thought the book was non-fiction and was confused that it was in the Historical Fiction category.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

When does this story take place? It sounds like it's contemporary rather than historical.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thorough review! It's funny that you mentioned that the author stated that the main character was a fictionalized version of himself. When I first started reading the review, I thought the book was non-fiction and was confused that it was in the Historical Fiction category.
Kind of confusing, right? :)

-- 13 Mar 2017, 22:56 --
CatInTheHat wrote:When does this story take place? It sounds like it's contemporary rather than historical.
Yes, sounds more like contemporary.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I thought the same thing as CatintheHat when I read the review - it didn't seem like it took place in the past.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bookowlie wrote:I thought the same thing as CatintheHat when I read the review - it didn't seem like it took place in the past.
Could it be a case of wrong categorization?
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I think authors have their own reasons for categorizing a book a certain way. Maybe the time period is 20 years ago (even if it's not clear in the story!) and the author thinks of that as historical. I once reviewed a non-fiction, true crime book that was categorized as mystery fiction and have reviewed children picture books that were listed in general fiction.

Return to “Historical Fiction”