Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Historical Fiction

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: EndSanity by Jerry L West

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.

Official Review: EndSanity by Jerry L West

Post Number:#1 by kimmyschemy06
» 09 Feb 2017, 01:05

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "EndSanity" by Jerry L West.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by kimmyschemy06
Share This Review

EndSanity is an inspiring and memorable book written by Jerry L. West.

JL Best, a scientist and a notably cunning man, wants nothing more than to be reunited with his estranged daughter Mary whom he has not seen for a long time. When Tiera, JL’s protégé invites Mary to an investors’ meeting which incidentally happens to be the venue of his husband George’s gig, Mary begins to feel suspicious. Everything seems to be orchestrated, and no one is clever enough to pull this thing off except her father whom she believes to be on to something in another attempt for reconciliation.

Meanwhile, representing ITRY, a small minority-owned company, Tiera and JL need all the help they can get to prepare for a demonstration against a major prime contractor, QUQU, for a possible contract with the government. With no chances of ever getting the contract against such a formidable opponent with long history with the government, JL has to be his most cunning, most creative and most innovative self to win the contract.

EndSanity is a book about change. As the author put it ‘it is a book about putting an end to behaviors that stifle imagination and creative thinking.’ It is a story about following your passion and doing the things that make you happy. It is about finding your purpose and working on it with everything you got. Furthermore, the book shows how something can be done and should be done, with unwavering determination, and sometimes, to the point of tenacity. The most important lesson I learned from this book is that you do not give up, ever, and whatever you do, you have to see it through no matter how hopeless and regardless of the result.

The pacing was steady for the first hundred pages and gradually picked up when the plot thickened. As some twists were presented and unexpected turns of events were introduced, suspense built up and the book ultimately ended with a satisfying denouement.

However, the book started out a little confusing. For starters, it was difficult to separate the author, Jerry L. West from the main fictional character JL Best, since the author clearly stated that the main character was actually himself represented by the fictional character JL Best, which made the book more like a memoir instead of fiction.

Moreover, except for the short narration at the beginning of each chapter, the scenes were written like a script for television series. Though I did not have any complaint about that particular format, I believe, however, that the character development suffered because of that. Of all the characters, only JL seemed to be distinctive. It was apparent that he was clever and inventive. Aside from him, however, the rest of the characters were not thoroughly described, therefore, difficult to relate to. I also had difficulty with the time shift which was not segued smoothly.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable book about love, family, friends, passion, dreams, courage and determination. I recommend it to readers who enjoy light read and feel-good reading materials.

EndSanity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06's Latest Review: "The Seer" by JD Stanley
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 306 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: EndSanity by Jerry L West

Post Number:#2 by LivreAmour217
» 15 Feb 2017, 09:00

Very nice review! I'm not sure if this book is for me, but I am glad that you liked it!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Post Number:#3 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Feb 2017, 09:13

LivreAmour217 wrote:Very nice review! I'm not sure if this book is for me, but I am glad that you liked it!

Thank you. It's an interesting book :)
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 15 Feb 2017, 10:20

It sounds interesting. I'm not sure this book is for everyone, but I will probably have to look into it a little more before I figure out if it's for me or not. Thanks for the review!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "A Changed Face" by Valerie Baxter
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 32 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 29%

Post Number:#5 by kimmyschemy06
» 15 Feb 2017, 20:49

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds interesting. I'm not sure this book is for everyone, but I will probably have to look into it a little more before I figure out if it's for me or not. Thanks for the review!

You're welcome. It is an interesting book and I enjoyed it in spite of my issues.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by Dondon almazan
» 10 Mar 2017, 21:40

Its an interesting book just keep writing
Dondon almazan

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#7 by kimmyschemy06
» 11 Mar 2017, 09:04

Dondon almazan wrote:Its an interesting book just keep writing

Thank you and welcome to the forum.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by bookowlie
» 13 Mar 2017, 17:25

Nice, thorough review! It's funny that you mentioned that the author stated that the main character was a fictionalized version of himself. When I first started reading the review, I thought the book was non-fiction and was confused that it was in the Historical Fiction category.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 25%

Post Number:#9 by CatInTheHat
» 13 Mar 2017, 18:24

When does this story take place? It sounds like it's contemporary rather than historical.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Judas Effect" by Loraine Tulleken
CatInTheHat

Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 378 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 13%

Post Number:#10 by kimmyschemy06
» 13 Mar 2017, 22:53

bookowlie wrote:Nice, thorough review! It's funny that you mentioned that the author stated that the main character was a fictionalized version of himself. When I first started reading the review, I thought the book was non-fiction and was confused that it was in the Historical Fiction category.

Kind of confusing, right? :)

-- 13 Mar 2017, 22:56 --

CatInTheHat wrote:When does this story take place? It sounds like it's contemporary rather than historical.

Yes, sounds more like contemporary.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by bookowlie
» 13 Mar 2017, 23:01

I thought the same thing as CatintheHat when I read the review - it didn't seem like it took place in the past.
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by kimmyschemy06
» 13 Mar 2017, 23:06

bookowlie wrote:I thought the same thing as CatintheHat when I read the review - it didn't seem like it took place in the past.

Could it be a case of wrong categorization?
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by bookowlie
» 13 Mar 2017, 23:23

I think authors have their own reasons for categorizing a book a certain way. Maybe the time period is 20 years ago (even if it's not clear in the story!) and the author thinks of that as historical. I once reviewed a non-fiction, true crime book that was categorized as mystery fiction and have reviewed children picture books that were listed in general fiction.
bookowlie

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page