What is the greatest historical fiction novel of all time?

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NovelConversations
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon What is the greatest historical fiction novel of all time?

Post by NovelConversations »

I would pose that Gone with the Wind is the greatest historical fiction novel of all time. It beautifully captures the spirit of the Confederate culture as a whole, as well as the specific perspectives of varying individuals. We see both men and women, rich and poor, educated and uneducated, free and enslaved, enlisted and nonmilitary characters. This gives an in depth analysis of the Civil War era, all while portraying one of the most memorable love stories of all time. Does anyone agree or disagree? Why?
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I could argue for a favorite; but, "Frankly, My Dear,....". :roll: Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

This is not my favorite genre. However I did enjoy Mount Vernon Love Story: A Novel of George and Martha Washington by Mary Higgins Clark. Although this Romance novel is fiction, it was thoroughly researched and offers insight into our first president.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
IsabooCrawfish35
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by IsabooCrawfish35 »

After "Gone With the Wind" I would have to say "To Kill a Mockingbird" would be a close second.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Gone with the Wind is also the first thing that came to my mind. Another favourite of mine is The Egyptian by Mika Waltari. It's just such a great picture of the world in 14th century B.C.
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ReadtoLive »

I love "Gone with the Wind" as an entertaining story, but it's got a pretty biased viewpt., in favor of the Confederacy and the North and Northerners were viewed as evil and slavery as relatively benign, etc. But since most American novels about that war take a side, that kind of slant isn't uncommon in historic fiction. When I was really young I loved it. Now I'd say that "To Kill a Mockingbird" is just as vivid a recreation of a certain time in the South, with a better message and characters I really loved. So I'd pick that one today.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

I do love Gone with the Wind. It is a fantastic story line that is entertaining, filled with romance, action, and enough twists and turns with the roller coaster of emotions the characters go on to have you skip meals to continue reading. While the two main protagonists - Scarlet and Rhett - are both over the top characters, they are also sympathetic and relate-able for readers. While I can say I will never know what it was like during this time period, I can get a glimpse through the eyes of the characters due to their complexities.

-- 26 Apr 2017, 14:47 --

I will also throw The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas into the mix here.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I personally love Their Eyes Were Watching God!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Even though I love Gone with the Wind, Dumas is one of the authors that really sticks out to me when it comes to historical fiction. He one of the best in Europe in his time and that was long before Margaret Mitchell. The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my top 5 favorite books of all time.
vilana74
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by vilana74 »

The greatest historical fiction novel of MY time is Tais (it's a story about concubine in Ancient Greece, her loves and her power... It is a beautiful story on 'girl power' if one can put it that way.
Dumas' novels would come close behind it.
Gone With The Wind - well, it is a love story for me rather than anything else. It's a story of Scarlett's love for life...

Return to “Historical Fiction”