Official Review: Noah's Wife

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Re: Official Review: Noah's Wife

Post by psychopathycathy »

Seems interesting! I'm glad it moved you and I hope it does the same for me :)
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Thank you all so much!
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
versatileer
Favorite Book: Serial K Returns
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 338

Post by versatileer »

I like the nice review on Noah's Wife. I love a book based upon biblical values. I cannot wait to read this in this Lent season.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a wonderful review to a book that seems like it will stay in your heart for a long time. I love the biblical tale is told in the perspective of Noah's wife, and the fact that she has Asperger's. I've worked with children on the Autism spectrum, so my interest is definitely piqued. The fact that the author can bring out so many emotions makes my own heart ache in picturing what Na'amah went through.

Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review and for writing such a moving story!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
The Ellipsis Writer
Currently Reading: Guru Granth Sahib
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-ellipsis-writer.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Ellipsis Writer »

Based on your review and the short excerpt I read of this book, I am extremely interested in reading Noah's Wife. I love the idea of a semi-biblical story being written in a new and creative way that explores concepts overlooked during these times. Concepts such as the abuse women face, disabilities and what they meant back then, and a young girl facing all such challenges despite longing for such a simple life really make this story seem so interesting. It takes a familiar character, and puts a new take on it, creating a sense of realism in the biblical epic, which the main character of Noah's Wife is merely a shadow in.

Clearly, themes like complexity in simplicity as well as broader characterizations are very important to the plot and development of this book. I find that superb for a tale such as this, as it makes up for what lacks completely, even if it stems from an ancient story told long ago. Thus, because the author gives actual character to someone who has never really had it in the past for a story that is not even originally theirs, you know that in the new original story that is theirs, they will have no troubles expanding upon character and plot. Seeing as how they do this already simply by having these characters in this new story, it is clear that one-dimensional characters and plot will not be issues.

Even though I only read a short amount, I was captured by Na'amah and her charming character. I feel that based on what I read, the author deals with an autistic character very well, allowing for us to see what it was like to live in a time where mental and developmental disabilities were seen very differently. As well, I feel the author does this well without glorifying mental disabilities like how many authors these days do. Too many times does it happen that authors use a type of disability, be it mental, physical, developmental, etc., as merely a plot device to either make a disabled character suffer needlessly, play the disability off as something it is not, or (in general) glorify something that is a very serious part of certain peoples everyday lives. With that, I only ever got the sense that the author understood how to properly portray an autistic character. This is a rarity and I highly welcomed it.

I look forward to reading this book eventually...

Amazing review by that way. Seeing as how I was only given a sample of the book, you're review clarified everything that I felt would be great about this story. Thanks for writing it up!

:tiphat:
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Thanks for the review. Honestly from the title I thought this would not my cup of tea, but after reading your review, I am intrigued and feel that I would be able to relate to the character on so many levels!
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

dhwanis wrote:Thanks for the review. Honestly from the title I thought this would not my cup of tea, but after reading your review, I am intrigued and feel that I would be able to relate to the character on so many levels!
I'm not religious in any way but always enjoyed Noah's ark as a story. It's pleasant. But I picked this book as it concentrated on a different character in the well known story so we could see the struggles of the wife instead of it being centered on the male. The beauty of the main character kept me reading.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

This was a wonderful book! I just finished reading it and found it very very interesting. I wished there were more books like this around.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Thank you for the lovely comments about the review and love the fact people have read and loved this book as much as me. It deserved the recognition :)
― David Gemmell
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Wow sounds like an original concept, for sure! Awesome review!
Vickyoreo86

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

Thank you ? I loved it... I actually still think about it and recommend it to people
― David Gemmell

Return to “Historical Fiction”