Official Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Water Trade by Rob Smith

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Water Trade" by Rob Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Water Trade by Rob Smith blends historical fact with a fantastical tale of war, love and family. A Japanese spy, US Navy officer and a civilian bookkeeper of Japanese descent are all brought together under mysterious circumstances at Pearl Harbor during World War II. The events that take place will forever haunt the trio until they are brought back together, years later to face the past. The Water Trade is a spy thriller intermingled with themes of deception, lost love, and patriotism.

In The Water Trade, Smith expertly crafts a web of relationships among the main players that excitingly comes together at the end resulting in an electrifying finale. The character connections and plot details were the best aspects of the novel. Though the main characters were all strong and complex, it was interesting to see how they reacted in times of great pressure and unethical circumstance. Miyuki, in particular, was a wonderful character. A Japanese civilian working as a bookkeeper, she chose to put herself in grave danger to potentially make a difference. Her brave disposition made for exceptionally good reading.

Although the plot of the story was thrilling, the writing lacked imagination and pacing. The tale itself moved quickly and excitingly through time, but the writing was often boring. The book was clearly well researched; unfortunately, the author chose to show this by dropping pages of historical information into the narrative, taking away from the excitement and suspense of the story.

Further, the character development was lacking in some instances. For example, the Japanese spy, Yoshimura, is introduced as a young boy who is plagued with bouts of mental instability which we later learn to be the symptoms of bipolar disorder. However, other than the brief mention of theses struggles in his childhood, the crippling disorder is never mentioned again. In no way does the disorder effect Yoshimura’s ability to be an intelligence officer or to live a mostly normal life after the war. From the beginning, this seemed like such an important plot device that I looked forward to reading about, unfortunately, the author did not follow through.

I rate The Water Trade 3 out of 4 stars. The novel is clearly well researched and the ideas behind the plot and characters were both exciting and well constructed, but too often the writing fell flat. If the author had written the novel in a style that was reflective of the fast paced and exciting story, The Water Trade would have earned a higher rating. Those who enjoy historical fiction focused on World War II as well as tales of espionage will surely enjoy this book.

The Water Trade
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
HannahGreendale
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahgreendale.html

Post by HannahGreendale »

I cringed a little when I read about the pages of historical info being dropped into the narrative. Good to know. Very helpful review.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

HannahGreendale wrote:I cringed a little when I read about the pages of historical info being dropped into the narrative. Good to know. Very helpful review.
Thank you! Yes, unfortunately, they were very disrupting!
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

The downfalls you describe tip the scales to the do not read side for me. Too bad because it sounds like the plot really has potential. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Elaine5 wrote:The downfalls you describe tip the scales to the do not read side for me. Too bad because it sounds like the plot really has potential. Thanks for a great review.
Glad you found the review helpful! :tiphat:
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nice review! It's a shame about the dull writing, though, because the concept is so promising. I also think that it's odd that the author did not expand upon Yoshimura's mental health issues. Bipolar Disorder is a lifelong condition.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds a little too heavy for my taste, but that's great that the plot is exciting.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

It sounds like a good concept. I think that if I were to read it I would want to know more about the bipolar disorder as well. Great review.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

LivreAmour217 wrote:Nice review! It's a shame about the dull writing, though, because the concept is so promising. I also think that it's odd that the author did not expand upon Yoshimura's mental health issues. Bipolar Disorder is a lifelong condition.
The lack of development with Yoshimura's mental disorder was the most disappointing aspect of the book! There was a lot of potential for a well rounded story.
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Great review! Historical fiction can be so gratifying to read. Sounds like this person has too much history for history's sake instead of weaving it gently through that narrative. I had been interested in this one - glad to read your review!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Great review! Historical fiction can be so gratifying to read. Sounds like this person has too much history for history's sake instead of weaving it gently through that narrative. I had been interested in this one - glad to read your review!
Thank you! Glad you found the review helpful. I agree, historical fiction can be incredibly satisfying! :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

HannahGreendale wrote:I cringed a little when I read about the pages of historical info being dropped into the narrative. Good to know. Very helpful review.
My thoughts exactly. There is a way to introduce historical fact without it becoming tedious. It's too bad. This sounds interesting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Sounds like an intriguing concept, but based on your final notes, I think I will pass on this one! Nice, honest review!

-- 11 May 2017, 15:49 --

Sounds like an intriguing concept, but based on your final notes, I think I will pass on this one! Nice, honest review!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you so much for your review! At first I thought it was just me, but I see that more of you feel that this may not be the book for you. I did download my copy in case I would like to check it out again in the future, but right now it just seems like it's too heavy of a read for me to tackle right now. I do hope others enjoy it it though, as it does sound well researched. Also, with the "ah ha" moment being at the very end when the characters come back together, it sounds like readers will be on their toes from start to finish. Congratulations, Rob Smith, on a well written book and best of luck! :-)

@MarisaRose, keep up the great work!
ayyyesami
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayyyesami.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by ayyyesami »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres and I've been trying to find more books in the genre to read. I love the idea of this book already and your review made me excited to read it! Even if it fell short in places, it sounds like an interesting read that I'll enjoy.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Return to “Historical Fiction”