Official Review: The Lebensborn Experiment, Book !

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Official Review: The Lebensborn Experiment, Book !

Post by James Craft »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lebensborn Experiment, Book !" by Joyce Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lebensborn Experiment, Book 1 by Joyce Davis is a historical fiction novel about the end of World War II and the fallout of that war with the experimentation to make super soldiers serums and the lengths to which the Nazi regime would go to win. It was read in audible format by Kevin Gallagher, and he does an amazing job of bringing this story to life and adding depth to it. He creates excellent voices to embody the characters and makes this an enjoyable and fun story to listen to.

It imagines a dystopian universe wherein there was a successful serum created with the power to instantly resurrect anyone injected with it, but also the irony that by the time it was invented the war was over and Hitler had already taken his own life in his bunker. The story completely omits any attempt to explain the scientific nature of what is happening, and it felt quite a bit like reading a comic book related to Captain America. Each of the characters had a unique personality, but they followed along with standard tropes we would expect from a story like this and didn’t really break any new ground.

Everything before chapter seven was exposition and background about the protagonist and antagonists of the story, and each of the main characters is given some sort of history that put them into this position. The backgrounds themselves weren’t bad, but they were all cliché and felt like they were pulled from pop culture to inhabit this space: a mad scientist who looks down on those with an inferior intellect, a weak and pathetic racist Nazi Colonel raised to power in the Nazi regime who is easy for the readers to hate, and an unassuming hero who is trying to protect his family and just wants to go home.

Mixed into all of this are racist undertones of the era, and much of this is administered by the author with a heavy hand. For example, when the doctor and Oberfuhrer Strass are confronted by their black prisoners with the plan to execute them, all of their internal and external dialogue is full of racially charged terms and prejudices. This isn’t to say it was handled badly, but a little subtlety might have made such passages more meaningful overall and less like the Nazis were just caricatures of bad people.

The story itself was easy to listen to and full of well-written action, and it was easy to root for the young boy and the American soldier and root against the Nazis. However, I would have liked to see a little more nuance and less clichés: for example, the only reason the soldier is able to break free is because the doctor mixes up the super-soldier serum with the poison it is sitting right next to and injects him with the wrong one. Doctor Weiss designed them to look alike and kept them conveniently close together the same way every mad scientist seems to do in stories like this. He even has an anti-serum which will recreate the most recent death the person went through, but there is no explanation for how this could possibly work or make sense in the context of the story and it serves only as an unnecessary plot device.

I truly enjoyed listening to The Lebensborn Experiment, Book 1, and it easily earns a 3 out of 4 star ranking. The only reason it doesn’t get the fourth star is because of the aforementioned problems. If the story had been a little bit more subtle and nuanced and rested less on tired clichés it would have been considerably more powerful. It was very fun to listen to, and I think that readers who enjoy listening to action-packed historical fiction that doesn’t dwell on the science behind how things work would truly enjoy this book, either in audio or book format.

The Lebensborn Experiment, Book !
View: on Bookshelves

Like James Craft's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thank you for the review. I think I would like this if it were less cliche.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Thank you for the review. I think I would like this if it were less cliche.
Yeah it felt a little too much like reading a comic book and everything was telegraphed, but it wasn't poorly done.
lqueen75
Currently Reading: 30 Minute Body
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by lqueen75 »

Thank you for the review. I love historical books, fiction and non-fiction. Can't wait to listen to this.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Nice review. It still sounds a little too typical for me. I don't want to read a redone Captain America. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

lqueen75 wrote:Thank you for the review. I love historical books, fiction and non-fiction. Can't wait to listen to this.
I hope you enjoy it! The narrator did a good job so it made it a lot better just from that.
kandscreeley wrote:Nice review. It still sounds a little too typical for me. I don't want to read a redone Captain America. Thanks.
Thanks, and I agree. It had moments that were really interesting and made the story a lot better, but on the whole it didn't really bring anything new to the genre.
twinklecar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by twinklecar »

Very nice and honest review...
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

twinklecar wrote:Very nice and honest review...
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and I wanted to make sure that anyone who was interested knew what they were getting into! A lot of people will love this book, and I want to get it in the hands of the right audience!
karaleigh2
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by karaleigh2 »

This sounds really intriguing, despite its flaws. Great review--thanks!
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

karaleigh2 wrote:This sounds really intriguing, despite its flaws. Great review--thanks!
It certainly was! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Pavel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pavel »

Yes, intriguing.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Pavel wrote:Yes, intriguing.
It is super interesting and I liked the main character quite a bit. I thought the story had really good resolution by the time everything was said and done and this one is certainly worth checking out!
wuguifeng
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by wuguifeng »

intriguing.... a historical fiction novel.... thanks for the review
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

wuguifeng wrote:intriguing.... a historical fiction novel.... thanks for the review
Yep, historical fiction with an emphasis on fiction because it doesn't really cover the history as much. It is a by-the-books fiction story about the war with some cool twists.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Interesting review on what could b a controversial story. Thank you!

Return to “Historical Fiction”