Devil Out Of Texas By Roger Raffee

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Devil Out Of Texas By Roger Raffee

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Author Roger Raffee's Devil Out Of Texas, taken from his family history, is an epic story of law, prejudice, and revolution. With parts of the story true and part from Raffee's vivid imagination, it is mostly fiction. The parts detailing his Grandfather Abe's telling of the story and his famous friends are true. For entertainment purposes, Raffee enlarged upon the story told to him in 1973.

Aaron Raffee, Jewish and son of a talented doctor, at a young age decided he would become a Texas Ranger. Exposed to the Rangers by his Texas Ranger Doctor Father, Aaron's determined to become the first Jewish Texas Ranger. At 18 Aaron becomes a Ranger; so begins a life of law keeping, facing prejudice as a Jew, prejudice for the Mexicans, and finally at all cost seeking justice for all. Intertwined into the story of Aaron, Rafee's grandfather will reveal his part in the Hollywood movie industry.

Come along with Roger Raffee as he detailed his great grandfathers journey and fame through his grandfather. My historical western novel review of Devil Out Of Texas follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, AND DEVELOPMENT:

Primarily a historical fiction novel, the reader also finds romance, deep emotion, and a vivid recounting of Aaron's adventures. Rafeee skillfully wove his story-lines together as he takes us from 1973 to the 1800's and back again. Transitioning between time periods smoothly, Raffee created a tale of interest and intrigue. I found Aaron's life amazing and deeply interesting as he faces the same issues in 1800's Texas and Mexico as we face today. History does repeat its self.

The plot lines were many and varied as we followed Aaron's life and the life of his grandson Abe. Raffee details the lawlessness of the west during this time period and the job the Rangers did to tame the West. While spinning this interesting tale, Raffee reveals Aaron as a fair man, who kills when necessary, saves when he can, and always lives by his own code of honor.

Unfortunately, I did not like Abe as much as I did Aaron. Portrayed as the typical man of his time period, Abe spends his time at his club with famous cronies. Abe in addition, ran around with other woman, demanded his wife subservience, and expected her waiting with his robe and slippers. No, Abe was not the man Aaron became. However, I must also concede that he possessed Aaron's drive to succeed and did so in Hollywood. The people he befriended and work with were legends of their time.

Finally, in concluding my historical western novel review of Devil Out Of Texas, I found the book intriguing and well written. With solid characters and defined plotting, I enjoyed this book. In addition, I found the pace slowed near the end as we reached the climax and conclusion of the story, however, by that time, I needed a lower pace. I loved reading of this famous lawman and his adventures.

DEVIL OUT OF TEXAS RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

Additionally, I would recommend Devil Out Of Texas for young adults and adults. I would not hesitate to buy this book for a friend who enjoys historical fiction of the old west.

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE:

In addition, I received this book from the author and chose to voluntarily review the book with an honest historical western novel review. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. Also, the ARC did not affect my voluntary historical western novel review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”