Official Review: Hyde's Corner by J B Bergstad

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hyde's Corner by J B Bergstad

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hyde's Corner" by J B Bergstad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hyde’s Corner: Book 1: No Man’s Land by J B Bergstad is the first novel in the Hyde’s Corner Trilogy. The story starts in Hyde’s Corner, a small Oklahoma town. The year is 1947 and a mysterious young man, Tom Burks, is enlisting in the army. Before doing so, he discreetly leaves his most prized possessions in a sack at the doorstep of his friend, Dr. Beaman. Included in this bag is a diary containing the history of the Burks family. The novel continues as a flash back, chronicling the lives of the Burks during their time living in the desolate Oklahoma territory known as “No Man’s Land.” The curious journey of the Burks all comes together at the novel’s conclusion, leaving the reader with a satisfying ending but also questioning what will befall the characters in the next installment of the Trilogy.

Bergstad is an exceptional storyteller; he expertly paces the novel to create feelings of anticipation as well as strong attachment to the characters. The novel never felt slow; in fact, it moved along consistently despite spanning multiple decades. The author also expertly crafts the story’s tone, encompassing impressions of the Old West as well as feelings of desolation, tragedy, and uncertainty about the future.

Further, character development is strong throughout Hyde’s Corner. Selmer Burks becomes the story’s main character but not until sufficient background about his past is provided. Over the course of the novel, Selmer grows into a strong willed, intelligent but despondent man. With great skill, the author creates events within Selmer’s life, particularly in his childhood, that help the reader understand why Selmer becomes such a crestfallen character. At times Selmer is not a likeable character, but his motives always make sense. There are a good amount of interesting secondary characters as well. For example, Cedric Hyde is the patriarch of the Hyde family during the establishment of Hyde’s corners in the 1800s. This character is an antagonist but his actions are not always deplorable. I applaud the author for creating a multidimensional “bad guy” instead of a stereotypical, despicable one; but don’t worry because there are plenty of those in Hyde’s Corner as well.

The exceptional storytelling was hindered only by the novel’s need for professional editing. Although errors throughout the book were not overwhelming, they were excessive and distracting at times. Simple misspellings occur intermittently throughout Hyde’s Corner such as “herl” instead of “her” and “laugher” instead of “laughter.” Additionally, there was some phrase repetition that an editor would easily pick up on; in one instance, the phrase “Peel coughed and died,” is immediately followed by “Peel coughed and died.”

Hyde’s Corner would easily receive 4 stars from me for the simple fact that it is a well-developed and expertly told story. Unfortunately, I have to give this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the editorial issues. I recommend this book not only to fans of gritty westerns but to anyone with a penchant for historical fiction, character driven novels, and exceptional story telling.

Hyde's Corner
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mark Johnson
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-johnson.html
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner

Post by Mark Johnson »

Great review MarisaRose. I want to read more historical fiction. This looks like a good book to check out, thank you.
Latest Review: "USA, Inc." by Larry Kahaner
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Mark Johnson wrote:Great review MarisaRose. I want to read more historical fiction. This looks like a good book to check out, thank you.
Thank you for the kind words! I do hope you read this one :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't really enjoy westerns, but I do love good characters. It sounds like the author does a good job developing the story. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Unfortunately for me, a good book gets ruined by lack of professional editing. I think I will pass on this one but thank you for the awesome review!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I love historical novels, and I might give this one a go, if the misspellings and grammatical errors are not too disruptive. You've done a great job at highlighting all of the book's good points - there's plenty to like by the sound of things!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Return to “Historical Fiction”