Official Review: The Sean by Michael sheahan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Sean by Michael sheahan

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sean" by Michael sheahan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Michael Sheahan has brought to life a seldom-discussed period in history through his work The Sean: Book One of the Elizabetha Tale. The story focuses on Clancy and Emma, a young couple living in the Irish city of Elizabetha during the 1840s. After the death of his beloved uncle, Clancy learns he is the sole beneficiary of his uncle’s estate. The inheritance comes with only one condition; Clancy must leave his life in the city and carry on the tradition of his forefathers as a farmer. Although eager to fulfill his uncle’s wish, Clancy encounters many roadblocks, causing him to use deceitful tactics to get his way.

Looming in the background of Clancy and Emma’s story is the “Great Curse,” a myth embodied by the tower clock in Elizabetha. Erected in 1579, to the Gaels, the clock is a token of the unwanted English rule over their nation. Although the myth of the curse has been around for centuries, it has yet to be resolved in Clancy and Emma’s time. The Sean is filled with themes relating to myths, familial secrecy, marriage, and the quest to save and understand family tradition.

This novel is brilliantly crafted, evoking strong feelings of the importance of cultural heritage and family values. Sheahan wonderfully paints a very-real seeming picture of Ireland in the 1800s, giving the reader the feeling of total immersion into the lives of Clancy and Emma. I appreciated the great amount of knowledge the author introduced about the historical events upon which this story is based. The attention to accuracy made the story that much more believable. Sheahan constructs a tale with just enough suspense and urgency to keep the reader on the edge of their seat. Further, the tale sufficiently blurs the lines between reality and legend to make the reader start to believe in the myths at the forefront of the story.

One of my favorite aspects of The Sean was the author’s ability to make the reader side with both Clancy and Emma. On the one hand, I desperately wanted Clancy to reclaim his family’s land and make it prosper; but on the other, I agreed that if I was in Emma’s shoes I would be just as unhappy. I felt a strong connection to both characters and liked and disliked aspects of both their personalities. Clancy and Emma both seemed so real I had to remind myself that they were fictional characters and not based on any actual historical figures. In addition to the well-developed characters, the plot was in no way predictable or boring, in fact it was the complete opposite. I couldn’t wait to find out what would happen next.

My only issue with The Sean is the placement of the glossary of Gaelic terms used throughout the story; although it is there, it is placed at the end of the novel. I did not discover the glossary until I finished the book. The glossary would have been better suited at the beginning of the novel in conjunction with the maps provided. Additionally, a guide to name pronunciation would have been appreciated as the elocution of the Gaelic language differs significantly from that of English. I could only guess at the correct pronunciation of some character names.

I easily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The Sean was an engrossing read, leaving me hotly anticipating the next installment. I loved how well written and researched the book was. I highly recommend this eerie and melancholy tale to fans of character driven historical fiction and to those who would like to learn more about Ireland’s history.

The Sean
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Wow! I must read this book. Thank you for such an amazing review! I love when the author makes you feel like you personally know the characters and completely engrosses you in the book by using such great detail and accurate information.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

Kdonegan91 wrote:Wow! I must read this book. Thank you for such an amazing review! I love when the author makes you feel like you personally know the characters and completely engrosses you in the book by using such great detail and accurate information.

Yes! There is nothing better that a well written, accurate historical fiction! I hope you do read this book! Enjoy :)
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow! this sounds fantastic! Good job on your review. Historical fiction is particularly amazing when it's accurate and you want to go google the fictional characters to find out if they weren't actual people...
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Wow! this sounds fantastic! Good job on your review. Historical fiction is particularly amazing when it's accurate and you want to go google the fictional characters to find out if they weren't actual people...
Thank you! Yes, this one really was great and I highly recommend it! The author really did a nice job with this one :)
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Wonderful review! You described the two spines of the story (the couple in the 1840s and the history of the tower clock) with aplomb, not revealing everything but just enough make a prospective even more curious about finding out what happens in the book. Thank you for also giving us your take on The Sean.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Lest92 wrote:Wonderful review! You described the two spines of the story (the couple in the 1840s and the history of the tower clock) with aplomb, not revealing everything but just enough make a prospective even more curious about finding out what happens in the book. Thank you for also giving us your take on The Sean.
Thank you for the kind words! :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I like books that feature myths and legends and this seems like one very enjoyable read. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Michael Sheahan on such an obviously well written book.
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I like books that feature myths and legends and this seems like one very enjoyable read. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Michael Sheahan on such an obviously well written book.
Thank you! There are definitely myths and legends at the forefront of this book! I hope you give it a try :D

Return to “Historical Fiction”