The Pillars of the Earth

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Odin908
Currently Reading: The History of Danish Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13

Icon The Pillars of the Earth

Post by Odin908 »

I have recently read Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" and it instantly became one of my favorites. It has an incredible sense of time and place. I love history, but history is viewed through the lense of looking back at what once was. Follett's way of writing has a way of dragging me into that time period so I am truly feeling as though I am experiencing what it was like to live at that time. That is the reason I have fallen in love with historical fiction.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

This one instantly became one of my favorites also! It seems like the longest book I have ever read, but definitely so worth it! Actually, it's been a few years so I might read it again!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Odin908

Post by Odin908 »

klbradley wrote:This one instantly became one of my favorites also! It seems like the longest book I have ever read, but definitely so worth it! Actually, it's been a few years so I might read it again!
I just finished the sequel today, it's called "World Without End"
lm1024
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lm1024.html

Post by lm1024 »

The Pillars of the Earth was the first book I have read of Ken Follett. As a matter of fact, it is the first book where one of the main characters were killed in first person. It took me by surprised. I still talk about it to people. If you enjoyed this series then I suggest you read the Century Trilogy. It starts with World War I and finishes with President Obama being elected. I loved this historical fiction. Actually he is the only male author I have read that I like his historical fiction.
Odin908

Post by Odin908 »

lm1024 wrote:The Pillars of the Earth was the first book I have read of Ken Follett. As a matter of fact, it is the first book where one of the main characters were killed in first person. It took me by surprised. I still talk about it to people. If you enjoyed this series then I suggest you read the Century Trilogy. It starts with World War I and finishes with President Obama being elected. I loved this historical fiction. Actually he is the only male author I have read that I like his historical fiction.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Odin908 wrote:
klbradley wrote:This one instantly became one of my favorites also! It seems like the longest book I have ever read, but definitely so worth it! Actually, it's been a few years so I might read it again!
I just finished the sequel today, it's called "World Without End"
I'm glad there's a sequel - it'll be a while before I get through Pillars of the Earth but I definitely want to read more of Follet's work.
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CZCampbell »

Though I read this book after seeing the miniseries on tv, it was a fantastic read!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

My mom also loves this book, but I haven't read it yet! Thanks for reminding me to check it out!
Xdjones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Xdjones »

This is my favorite book EVER. I highly recommend Pillars and World Without End. They are very long books, but they are constant page turners. I am actually sad when the book ends because I want to read more about the characters!
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Both Pillars of the Earth and World Without End are excellent: Follett really immerses you in the time period in a really amazing way. I've just heard he is releasing a third in the series soon - so there's that to look forward to!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Phyllis9509
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phyllis9509 »

I read Pillars of The Earth a few years back and was fascinated in the way Follett can put you back in time with the characters. I was amazed by the time it took to build a Cathederal back in that time.
You sweat with the workers in this novel.
drgrinchman
Currently Reading: The Whiskey Rebels
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by drgrinchman »

This was one of my first, and remains one of my favorite historical fiction novels. I've been an avid reader in this genre ever since. Ken Follett is a master story teller: Character development, plot, action, he does it all. After reading the trilogy, I watched the movies and devoured more Follett, but The Pillars of the Earth remains my favorite.

Return to “Historical Fiction”