Official Review: A Gathering of warriors by George Vigileos

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Re: Official Review: A Gathering of warriors by George Vigil

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

Thank you very much for this review.
The theme of the book reminds me of my studies on literature while I was at University. I like stories with symbolism and spiritual journeys.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Majikalone
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 552">It</a>
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-majikalone.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Majikalone »

A Gathering of Warriors looks like a great book and I appreciate the very detailed and concise review you provided. I agree that the grammatical errors can be distracting in most novels, and in today's self-publishing world it is easy for an author to be so eager to get their book out that the proofreading suffers. However, this IS a very good story and definately worth a read, errors and all!!! Thanks again for the great review!??????
Bfrisco
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

Thank you for the excellent review. I appreciate that you pointed out the overarching themes as well as the occasional grammar issue. It also helps to know that the descriptions become more succinct as the book goes on. I know that I find lengthy descriptions unpleasant at times, so it would encourage me to continue reading knowing that it becomes more manageable.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
MandalynnJDG
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalynnjdg.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by MandalynnJDG »

Thanks for the review. Sometimes grammatical errors and lack of a thorough editing can be really distracting in a book. It seems like 5 main characters may be keep an eye on with editing that may distract.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sounds deep. Congrats on the layered review. Might give this one a try.
Shalom16
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalom16.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Shalom16 »

Have you checked if it's following the British or American style when it comes to punctuations and quotations? As for the story, having to reread parts indicate that the plot has lost focus or maybe gets too complex. It may be substantial but for people with short interest spans like me, it can be a real challenge. Good review though.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for the review. I downloaded this today.
karaleigh2
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by karaleigh2 »

Thanks for the rather thorough review, because I could only read the first few pages and had to just force myself to read past the first page. It's not my type of book and definitely didn't get my attention. The characters you describe do sound interesting (I only read about one character), so I might give it a bit more of a try and see if it interests me more.
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

Wow. What a review. The grandfather and the stories. The gathering and the traveling it took to get there. People coming together that had a common interest. The warriors. The review made me want to read the book.
heinemac
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heinemac.html

Post by heinemac »

I find symbolism from Native American stories to be very interesting. The symbolism used usually relates to a vey deep meaning of humanity and the environment. Usually a moral is involved in someway. I look forward to reading this book and seeing what I gather from the story. As for the authors over use of description at the beginning, maybe the idea was to set a very vivid image in the readers mind so that the rest of the text would make sense. I'll have to read it to know if I have the same opinion as you. Thank you for your review.
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

Emphasizing the unity of all things as a key concept for life (meaning human, plants, and animals) the author examines the detailed way things can work together along with the detailed way things can be torn apart. Readers who love history will like the references to (for example) what happened when North American settlers met indigenous tribes; the outbreaks of disease unfamiliar to the indigenous people is alluded to but not examined in detail.
The reader has to pay detailed attention to the novel. There is a lot going on, there are many characters to follow, and the story moves quickly between scenes. I found myself having to go back and re-read passages to make sure I was keeping up.
Amybo82 makes this point in the official review. The story moves quickly between characters and scenes; there are allusions to different times that the characters visit in their dreams. I also went back to re-read passages especially after about the first one-third of the novel.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Adrienne Savage
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2933">The Grapes of Wrath</a>
Currently Reading: The Story
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-savage.html

Post by Adrienne Savage »

Your review was wonderful for this book. Just as you stated; it is somewhat religious, somewhat philosophical, and somehow just mystical in nature. A great book and a great review!
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

I like a book that imparts wisdom and forces me to analyze my own thought process. However, I feel extremely overwhelmed by too much description of everything. Moreover, if I need to go back and re-read a book to tie a story together, then I'm sure that's not the book for me.

Anyway, great job on the review :)
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Ajay Mangal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-mangal.html

Post by Ajay Mangal »

Official review recommending this book to the fans of Dr. Wayne Dyer makes it a promising read to me. I shall begin reading the book now. However, too much of detailed describing of any scene dampens my enthusiasm and if too much of movement back and forth to string the story together will prove to be an added distraction.

The official review is very thorough.
Pat Current
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pat-current.html

Post by Pat Current »

Love the review. You made this book sound like my cup of tea. I already added it to my book shelf. My even start reading it tonight!!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”