Official Review: The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto

Official Review: The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

Post by AbbyC »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Title: The Dancing Barber
Author: AC Michael
Genre: Historical Fiction

The Dancing Barber starts off with three consecutive plot lines in the City of Bradford, North England: Klem an undercover reporter for the Ukraine group known as 'Katya' has gathered thirty years worth of proof that the Ukrainian genocide did indeed happen.
Halyna, friend of Klem and wife to the local ballet master, is on strike due to her husband's poor gratitude and laziness in reference to everything she does.
Taras, local ballet master and owner of the attic where Klem lives, is working his troupe hard in preparation for their big performance of Swan Lake that could very well be their ticket to fame and fortune.
But from there the story expands. Lenka and Zena are coming to visit their sister in Bradford from Chaplinka, Ukraine with some important family secrets to share. Sofia is a disgruntled ballerina who simply cannot get Taras to notice her ability to dance. Oksana, the overweight bully at school. Ivan, the owner of the houses in the subdivision and the local tyrant. And the mysteriously anonymous man. Soon the plot encompasses the entire town plus some more.

Full of humor and adventure intermingled with the simple peacefulness of daily life, the story weaves you skilfully through each story, tying everything up and piecing it all together. Almost nothing is left undone or unexplained. And it's amazing to see all the different ways everything does tie together. I'm not going to spoil it but it was pretty impressive. From dancing to action, spies to cooking, this story had a little bit of everything!

It's also full of history. So few people are aware of what happened in Ukraine 1932-33 and the effect it had on the people. The man-made famine brought on by Stalin and his regime struck Ukraine hard and with devastating consequences and then they managed to hide it for years beneath their propaganda. The very heart of the Ukraine people has been written into this book. From their traditions to their problems and their fight to be heard. It was a really amazing story!

The characters were amazingly well written. They blended with their settings and never fell through the cracks. Everyone brought in had a place and a purpose. It was amazing to see how even the more insignificant characters added a new layer to the story. And none were flat. Everyone had a story and a purpose and they all felt so real.

With great editing (there were a few minor errors that were more due to the digital formatting) and fantastic writing not to mention plot and cast, I easily give The Dancing Barber 4 out of 4 stars. This has to be one of the best historical-fictions I've ever read! Honestly it's right up there with To Kill a Mockingbird and The Book Thief.

The Dancing Barber
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AbbyC's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Truth and Love; Enchanting Echoes; Elohim's Decree-The Dimension of the Soul; Fount of freedom; Angel of My Life" by Grace Ruto
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Great review! At first, the blurb about this book doesn't seem to interesting to me, but reading your review changed my mind! I'm happy to hear that everything ties together at the end - nothing more dissatisfying than an open ending!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I, for one, would like to know what happened in 1932-33. So, naturally, I find this book very interesting. I really hope I get the chance to read it. Good job on the review.
AbbyC
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyc.html

Post by AbbyC »

MarisaRose wrote:Great review! At first, the blurb about this book doesn't seem to interesting to me, but reading your review changed my mind! I'm happy to hear that everything ties together at the end - nothing more dissatisfying than an open ending!
Thanks! And I agree, I hate open endings which is why I was really pleased with the way this one wrapped up!

-- 22 Nov 2016, 13:34 --
kimmyschemy06 wrote:I, for one, would like to know what happened in 1932-33. So, naturally, I find this book very interesting. I really hope I get the chance to read it. Good job on the review.
Thanks so much! I hope you get to read it too because the details it has on the Holodomor, or Terror-Famine, are amazing and eye opening. Plus the book was just a great read over all!
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival

Post by e-tasana-williams »

Thank you for the great review! Your enthusiasm for the book clearly shines through; good job! I know almost nothing about the Ukraine, and your review has me interested. I'm adding this one to my Want To Read list. Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review. It must have been difficult to create humor from such a disturbing historical time, let alone master several plot lines in the process.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
NicciH
Currently Reading: Blood Laws
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niccih.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by NicciH »

Excellent review. I am always up for a good history lesson and why not learn while enjoying a well written book.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

Such a well-written and exciting review! You can feel your excitement and love for the book while reading your review. After reading the information on Amazon, I was not interested in this book. However, you have changed my mind! I hope to read this soon.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great job on the review! It certainly had me hooked. I like the combination of "humor and adventure intermingled with the simple peacefulness of daily life". Congratulations to the author on the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ChillAndRead
Bookshelf Size: 362
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chillandread.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by ChillAndRead »

Great review! Good to know there are good historical books out there!
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

Thank you for writing such a great review. It was well thought out and provided just enough information to get me on the hook. I am definitely adding this one to my list.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
grammy57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grammy57.html
Reading Device: B002Y27P3M

Post by grammy57 »

Full of humor was the draw for me. I need something to enjoy at this time.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

This seems like a very fun way to learn a bit about a time in history that wasn't in any way "fun" and that takes a rare skill. I am excited to see what the author does with such a rich setting - thank you for the detailed review!
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This book's subject on Ukraine during the early 20th century appears to be a fascinating way to learn about the country's history. The shift in perspectives sounds the most intriguing. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congrats on being BOTD. I always like reading about history and the Ukraine during Stalin sounds like history that would interest me and with all the seperate characters tied in makes for a more satisfying read.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! You had me at The Book Thief! I love the concept of this story and the fact that the author teaches what happened in the Ukraine during 1932-33. I actually don't know this piece of history, so I'd be curious to learn.

Thank you for sharing and congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Historical Fiction”