Official Review: Og by Brittany Shannon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Official Review: Og by Brittany Shannon

Post by DennisK »

What I liked about this story was the perspective that Shannon gave to living within a military environment during that time – the business of making a nest within a war. The character Kaya seemed a bit contemporary for the story's time. She seemed to me to be a modern woman with modern problems, but after some thought, I question my own tendency to stereotype people within their historical roles. Never-the-less, modernizing Kaya, within a historical context, may be a good idea as it makes Kaya a character to whom I can relate. …. that is, if she was modernized … I'm still not sure of that. Did women during that time think and react like Kaya?
Shannon's portrayal of marital virtue during that time was, for me, interesting as there are places today that share those sensibilities. I'm confronted with the fact that we all come from a common source.
I didn't encounter any grammatical errors that stumbled my reading, and I liked the way she structured each chapter to fit the characters within the story. I think she dragged out Kaya's emotional drama to the point of exhaustion. This left me glad to finish the story.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

How did the title relate to the story?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

DennisK wrote:What I liked about this story was the perspective that Shannon gave to living within a military environment during that time – the business of making a nest within a war. The character Kaya seemed a bit contemporary for the story's time. She seemed to me to be a modern woman with modern problems, but after some thought, I question my own tendency to stereotype people within their historical roles. Never-the-less, modernizing Kaya, within a historical context, may be a good idea as it makes Kaya a character to whom I can relate. …. that is, if she was modernized … I'm still not sure of that. Did women during that time think and react like Kaya?
Shannon's portrayal of marital virtue during that time was, for me, interesting as there are places today that share those sensibilities. I'm confronted with the fact that we all come from a common source.
I didn't encounter any grammatical errors that stumbled my reading, and I liked the way she structured each chapter to fit the characters within the story. I think she dragged out Kaya's emotional drama to the point of exhaustion. This left me glad to finish the story.
I agree with the majority of what you said. You did a nice job of encapsulating the structure and role of Kaya's place in the book.
CatInTheHat wrote:How did the title relate to the story?
Og is the name of the giant-King of Bashan that the Israelites defeated during the beginning of their conquest of the land God had promised them.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

This definitely sounds unique! Great review, I think I should check it out!
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Thank you! It is most definitely unique and I hope you enjoy it when you get a chance to read it!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Historical Fiction”