Official Review: Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suck...

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Re: Official Review: Yugoslavia and London for immigrant suc

Post by lane_vespertine »

CatInTheHat wrote:I went back and forth as to whether I should choose to read this book for an official review but something stopped me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You've made it sound like a far more worthy read than I expected.
I feel like you missed out :D
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

lane_vespertine wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:I went back and forth as to whether I should choose to read this book for an official review but something stopped me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You've made it sound like a far more worthy read than I expected.
I feel like you missed out :D
It's not too late, I can still read it!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
twenty7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by twenty7 »

It would be interesting to hear your opinion of this book but if you went back and forth about it, you probably wouldn't like it.
Hampton_Roe

Post by Hampton_Roe »

I know this book, I've read it over the summer but it didn't have Yugoslavia in the title. Cool story, very strange... one of the most interesting books I've read this year. Not much action but never boring
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

"...I found very little information about the author in my research for this review..."

I've ordered this book in paperback (as a present to my friend) and this is on the back cover:

"Kolya S. is a former Yugoslav living in London. He holds a Bachelor's degree in History and a Master's degree in International Relations. His research interests revolve around global governance, international affairs, and the role of ordinary suckers in international politics"
twinklecar

Post by twinklecar »

I love historical fiction about relatively more recent time periods and this looks like just my cup of tea. Yugoslavia is still an unexplored subject for me. Nice and thorough review.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Awesome review! I just might have to check this one out! :)
Subnavigation54

Post by Subnavigation54 »

This better be good...I paid $2.99 for it, and I want to enjoy it as much as Godreaujea enjoys her cup of tea.

-- 20 May 2017, 05:28 --

I just finished this novel and I’m amazed how the author has managed not to take the sides in such a complicated social surrounding, and tie together all story threads in a very coherent way. This book feels so real that after I finished reading it, I felt cheated. I expected it to go on and on. Maybe America for immigrant suckers next?
pobox

Post by pobox »

The title is slightly off-putting for me but a book sounds interesting enough. I might check it out. Great review.
twenty7

Post by twenty7 »

A few weeks ago I traveled to Croatia for the first time, a place I had long wanted to see. I was going along the coast, from Pula on the North, all the way South to Dubrovnik. Somewhere half way, at the beautiful town of Split, I realized that Bosnia and Herzegovina is close by and that the town of Bugojno, described in this book, was just over 2.5 hours drive. In the final stages of the book, we were told: "...The first impressions of some accidental passers-by about that city wouldn’t be positive:“What a backwater” at best, and no one could have persuaded them that, once upon a time, this was one of the most developed cities in Yugoslavia. Although, who cares what passers-by think, they just pass by and leave"...
I had a plenty of time (all in all spent close to one month in Croatia) so I drove there and I was mesmerized by the natural beauty of the landscape, especially the forest that goes all the way from the small town of Kupres to Bugojno. Once in Bugojno, I felt like a passer-by from the story. It is a fairly large town surrounded by mountains, but the town is so run down it feels as if its citizens don't care about it. The thing that shocked me most of all was the number of buildings still riddled with the marks of bullets and shrapnels. The war was finished 20+ years ago, they could have patch it up and painted over. It can't be that expensive. It is a sleepy backwater town that has seen better days. This was the vision of Bosnia I had in my mind and in a way, I felt sorry, it materialized. I was glad when I came back to Croatia.
cluborg

Post by cluborg »

This sounds like a great read with endearing character, and the interesting history lesson on the side. I like thorough review on this book.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Most realistic story I have heard of by far and what is not for everybody is definitely for me. Once I am finished with my current book I would love to give a try reading this one. I believe I will find something in common with Peter.
Loccitane

Post by Loccitane »

Athena Moon wrote:Most realistic story I have heard of by far and what is not for everybody is definitely for me. Once I am finished with my current book I would love to give a try reading this one. I believe I will find something in common with Peter.
Have you read it? Is it good?

Return to “Historical Fiction”