Official Review: Defender of Jerusalem

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Defender of Jerusalem

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Defender of Jerusalem" by Helena P. Schrader.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Defender of Jerusalem is the second book in a biological trilogy about Balian d'Ibelin. It follows Balian as he has recently become a baron and married the Dowager Queen of Jerusalem, but is facing conflict from Salah ad-Din, a Kurdish leader looking to take over Jerusalem. Based on facts and threaded through with fiction to make the story easier to understand, Defender of Jerusalem is enjoyable even as a stand-alone novel. The author, Helena Schrader, brilliantly included genealogical charts, various maps of Jerusalem, and most importantly, a list of characters and their relations to each other. A brief explanation of the first novel and general background of the time period is given before the start of the novel.

Those of you who paid attention in World History may be familiar with the bloody conflicts over Jerusalem that occurred in the 12th Century. In my case, however, groups such as the Templar Knights and Hospitallers were only vaguely familiar. The never-ending cast of characters was particularly difficult when it came to remembering who was married to whom, who was related by blood, and who held what land, etc. I’ll admit that it took me the first 100 pages or so before I could stop flipping back to the genealogical charts at the beginning of the novel.

That being said, it was so easy for me to fall in love with the story these characters were telling. Every character, from the servants to the kings and barons, was well-rounded and perfectly portrayed. It was interesting to see what each character worried about, as well as how they interacted with others in their sphere of influence. Many times I forgot that the characters in this novel were based on real people in history. Schrader has a real knack for storytelling, and I can see why her novels have won so many awards.

If I had to knit-pick anything at all, it would be the monotony of the discussions. I know that it can’t be helped if multiple sieges and battles require the same dialogue and sequence of actions, but I once lost my page and had to guess where I had been and move on from there. I found a discussion between two characters that I had been reading about before I left off, but as I continued to read I had no idea what was going on. I realized that I was about 100 pages off from where I had actually stopped reading, but was completely fooled because of the similar situations.

Defender of Jerusalem is a whopping 600+ pages of Middle Eastern history that not only chronicles the international conflicts of a holy war, but also the personal lives of those who fought in it. Schrader’s beautiful writing style and strong characters have earned this book an amazing 4 out of 4 stars from me. It was a challenge for me at first, not having any knowledge of that area and time period at all, but history aficionados – especially those with an interest in the Middle East and/or the Middle Ages – should definitely get their hands on this book.

Don’t forget that this book is also part of a trilogy! Without the other two books, you won’t get Balian’s full story.

Defender of Jerusalem
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great book. Its being a stand alone is brilliant considering the length. It means that the reader feels satisfied at the end of the book and doesn't feel compelled to hunt for the other books in the series :) Great job on the review. Congratulations to Helena P. Schrader on such an obviously well written book.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

Great review! While I am not a big fan of historical war fiction, you made this book shine in your review. Good job!
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

Very good review!
The crusades and all the craziness associated has always fascinated me.
Did the author indicate how much was based on actual research? Rather, could you tell what was fiction and what wasn't?
Thanks again!
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Thank you for the kind replies! :)

-- 09 Oct 2016, 03:33 --
lane_vespertine wrote: Did the author indicate how much was based on actual research? Rather, could you tell what was fiction and what wasn't?
Thanks again!
Definitely! Before the book started and after it ended there were notes about the research the author did and what was left out/added/changed to fit the new storyline. Mrs. Schrader definitely did her homework! :lol:
In fact, I don't think there were any outrageous changes at all. She did a great job of describing the time period and various ethnic groups and their struggles without skewing the viewpoint in favor of one side or another.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an intriguing read for fans of the genre. I liked books that mix facts and fiction. Too bad about the monotony of the discussions. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Great review and I really want to check this book out now! You make it sound excellent and I'm interested in Balian. Will probably have to start with the first book.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Wow this sounds like a really interesting way to learn about a portion of history of which my knowledge is pretty sparse! It sounds like the author put a lot of research and effort into this work, and that it paid off.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Thanks for the nice and detailed review of the book. your review is a complicated and confusing book much simpler. Yes i also found the characters and their relations very confusing when i read the book. I am not a big fan of such kind of biographies. I also find it taxing to refer to refer to the genealogical chart time and again. Your review helped me to determine that i am going to skip this one as i get less enjoyment from such kind of plots and stories. I also felt the plot surrounded with a cloud of doom as it started with " Jerusalem is dying."
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

Sounds like a great read for those who are into their world history! Not sure that it would really be my cup of tea but from your review, it sounds like the author really knows their stuff and is able to bring the story to life through well-developed characters.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congratulations to the author for making BOTD. Being a fan of historical fiction and the Knights Templar and the history and conflicts of Jerusalem I will definitely be reading this.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

Doesn't really seem like my cup of tea as I prefer reading books set in the present time. Great review though.

Congratulations to the author for getting such a great review. ?
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This book sounds fascinating. I just recently sampled ten pages from it and found that the author weaves the tale just as well as you said she does! The pages that listed the cast of characters and different kingdoms are very nicely organized.

So far the story starts like it is a stand alone novel, with pertinent imagery and dialogue.

Thanks for your review. I'm going to enjoy this book! :D
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
shivpratap
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shivpratap »

Very good review!
The crusades and all the craziness associated has always fascinated me. :) :)
Did the author indicate how much was based on actual research? Rather, could you tell what was fiction and what wasn't?
Thanks again! :?:
Book Devotee
Currently Reading: dance of the gods
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-devotee.html

Post by Book Devotee »

Having read the sample for this book I found it to be a surprisingly full bodied tale that does not stint on the facts. I agree that this Is a great book for the history buffs, as this is full of facts from history. Never having read the first one I am still able to follow along and get into the characters without to much issue. My one complaint about what I read was the amount of detail could sometimes overwhelm. I understand wanting to be accurate, and that the time period had a lot going on; however I was still some what overwhelmed by it. Really enjoyed this sample though and agree with the rating 4/4.

Return to “Historical Fiction”