Official Review: The Royal Secret by john bentley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Official Review: The Royal Secret by john bentley

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Royal Secret" by john bentley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Royal Secret is John Bentley's first historical fiction novel. It explores the life of Francis Bacon, who lived during the time of Queen Elizabeth I in the mid to late 1500's. In this novel, Mrs. G, an elderly woman living in modern day America, journeys to Europe in the fall of 2014 to chase the hidden clues about the true life of Francis a Bacon and the belief that he was the real author of the works credited to William Shakespeare. On her journey she is tempted by immortality, the very temptation that may have resulted in her close employer's death.

The book is presented with a very professional feel. It contains more than just the story, including an enlightening Prologue and Afterword. Bentley also includes a "Cast of Characters" to help identify the real and fictional characters in the book. The extent of the research that went into this book is clear throughout. Some chapters of the story jump back in time to tell of current events in the 1500's involving Francis and the Queen of England, while other facts are included more abruptly. At times I felt as if I were reading a history book and not a piece of fiction. The real history lesson occurs in the Afterword as Bentley provides detailed support for his description of events in this fictional work.

Despite the amount of effort put into organizing and preparing this work, there are a handful of typographical errors, missing punctuation, and grammatical errors that detract from the polished piece expected. In addition to these errors, overall I found the piece lacking in engaging content. At times I found myself lost in the story, other times I struggled just to keep reading. This could be from personal tastes, as I prefer fiction over history. My previous experiences with historical fiction have blended history and fiction into a captivating story. I felt that this book lacked that balance and contained too much unrelated history.

I would definitely suggest this book for fans of history, conspiracy, and cover ups. It was one of the aspects that drew me to this book to begin with. While I was disappointed with the execution, there are many merits in the historical evidence used in the book that history buffs may appreciate more.

Aside from trying to prove who Francis Bacon really was, his ties to the throne, and even to Mary Magdalene, Bentley weaves another message into his book about the quest for immortality. Francis Bacon was allegedly trying to find a way to beat death (and is argued to have succeeded). Similarly, Abe, Mrs. G's employer, was searching for a cure to disease, a way to overcome the potential epidemic the world faces as antibiotics become increasingly less effective. The reader learns that Mrs. G is determined to complete her journey, despite having a severe illness. Through her journey, the reader learns that there is more to life than being the best.

I would rate The Royal Secret by John Bentley as earning 3 out of 4 stars. With a little more action to hold the readers' attention, it could easily earn higher.

The Royal Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review!
I love historical fiction and this story sounds really interesting. Editing problems can drive me nuts too, so I appreciate you mentioning those issues.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Thanks for sharing your great review. This sounds very interesting. While I don't usually read historical fiction this sounds very interesting.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

It lacked the action and suspense that I enjoy, but seemed to be founded in extensive research and was well written overall :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I love historical fiction and I would like to read about Francis Bacon. I already read some materials attributing the works of Shakespeare to various writers. It seems that critics could not believe that someone like Shakespeare who had more ties with the land could ever come up with literary gems like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. Too bad, though, about the errors in this book. It could have been one great read. Good job on the review.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I love historical fiction and I would like to read about Francis Bacon. I already read some materials attributing the works of Shakespeare to various writers. It seems that critics could not believe that someone like Shakespeare who had more ties with the land could ever come up with literary gems like Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet. Too bad, though, about the errors in this book. It could have been one great read. Good job on the review.
The errors are not extensive and did not detract much from the reading. I would not pass on this book simply for the few errors it contains. The story is well researched and backed with support, so if you like historical fiction, especially Shakespeare and Francis Bacon, then I would definitely give this book a try!
Kimber1099
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kimber1099 »

Thanks for sharing the review. Historical ficton is one of my favorits.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

I don't really read historical fiction so perhaps I won't check out this book, but thank you for pointing out the flaws of this book and writing a great review!
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds interesting. Too bad about the lack of balance between the history and fiction sections. Nonetheless, I will give it a try. Good job on the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I enjoy historical fiction from this time period. I like that there seems to be a mystery element also thrown into this book. The lack of balance between history and fiction does give me a bit of pause. Looking forward to reading a few pages to see for myself if it's something I'll enjoy. Thanks for the review!
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Nice job on the review! While I usually enjoy a good historical fiction novel, this doesn't seem to be one I'd choose. I don't like occult themes. Also, editing issues can drive me crazy!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Great review on today's book of the day.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Great review. The review invites me to read the book. What I know about Francis Bacon is, he was one of the great American philosophers. I will surely love this book.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Gorrety Yogo
Currently Reading: The Royal Secret
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gorrety-yogo.html

Post by Gorrety Yogo »

I hate history but love fiction though.
GennivieCatiil

Post by GennivieCatiil »

History is to know on what our past and I love it to read

Return to “Historical Fiction”