Official Review: Finding the Raven by Patty Dickson Pieczka

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Finding the Raven by Patty Dickson Pieczka

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding the Raven" by Patty Dickson Pieczka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical fiction is a fickle beast. Typically, books have either very little plot but immerse a reader in an amazing piece of history or they're heavy in plot but don't give the setting as much love as they should. It's a rare book that pulls off both, and I was incredibly pleased that Patty Dickson Pieczka's Finding the Raven is one such book. The story takes place in 1904 St. Louis, Missouri during the World's Fair and it masterfully captures the wonder of the amazing inventions on display, the societies and customs of the era and particularly the way women were treated just over 100 years ago. At the same time, it weaves the stories of two very different women - Julia, who was raised in a theater troupe and Rose, member of the wealthy Hillman Cereal family.

The book has a fantastic hook from the very first sentence: "No one knew death hid in the rafters of the Garrick Theater." By the end of chapter one, Julia's father is murdered in a way that everyone assumes is simply a horrific accident. She's then soon told that her father was awful with money and her inheritance is nonexistent, but she knows in her heart it's not true. Left with only $10, she must now fend for herself. She finds Mrs. McKinney's Boarding House For Ladies, spending $3.50 for her first week, leaving her only 2 weeks at $3 each before she's left homeless if she doesn't find a job. Unfortunately, the job market for women wasn't quite what it is today; after being groped and belittled at her first two interviews she finds herself lucky to be working a sewing machine at a factory. As someone who has had a factory job, I really felt bad for her when she seemed so excited, but even my experience would've been like getting paid to sit on a beach compared to her experience.

Meanwhile, through an adorable accident, Rose finds herself falling in love with a lowly bank teller who thought she worked at an ice cream parlor. Months later, still unwed, she ends up pregnant. When she goes to tell her family, her father drives all the way from St. Paul, Minnesota and drops her at Mrs. McKinney's Boarding House For Ladies (where Julia is!) with her room and board paid for a year and gives $60 spending money. In a year, he says, he'll return and accept her back if she's single and without child or married to someone wealthy. The worst part, to Rose, is that she's so far away from the man she loves and worries she's lost him forever. Despite their differences, the two become fast friends.

The book does a fantastic job of following these women through their trials and tribulations. Julia comes to find out that her father was murdered and there's a deep, sinister plot behind it that she must unravel. At the same time, she finds a better job and a love of her own in the form of the adventurous Monroe. Rose, on the other hand, tries and tries to contact Eric (her love and father of her child) but gives up and answers a matrimonial ad in the paper. Herman seems nice enough, and even says he's a partner at a law firm (they just haven't gotten around to adding his name to the sign), but he's dull and has a painful laugh. The other characters are equally interesting, with a mix of folks to love and folks to love to hate.

As this is a period piece, one of the absolutely coolest things is the way the book covers life in 1904 St. Louis. Automobiles and telephones are new and uncommon, the waffle cone was accidentally invented. Things like getting a newspaper for only a penny from a corner newsboy, using candles for light instead of their scent, electric trolleys, civil war veterans and so much more exist here, and I was amazed at how interesting of a time period it actually was! At the same time, it was an awful time for women - suffragettes were fighting for the right to vote, jobs were separated into "men's jobs" and "women's jobs" even in the newspaper, women were belittled as unintelligent at every turn and untrusted over the word of a man.

This was one of those books where nothing at all could be happening, but the wonderful writing would've kept me sucked in all the same. Luckily this wasn't the case. Between unexpected plot twists, revelations in the case of Julia's father's murder, Rose's attempts to find Eric or being with Herman it felt like something happened every few pages. It's no exaggeration that I was fully immersed and kept wanting more from the minute I started reading the book. I didn't even find any grammatical errors, something that's far too rare.

In the end, I found myself failing to come up with any flaws for the book, making it easy to give it 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who enjoys historical fiction, mystery, romance and even some magic should definitely give Finding the Raven a read.

Finding the Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Again a very fine review. Well written and detailed.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Great review! I love a good historical fiction novel and could see myself enjoying this one. Turn-of-the-century America was such an interesting time and I'm glad this book uses the era so well in the story. I'm adding this one to my list for sure!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Aududa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aududa »

Thank you for the great review, I look forward to going back in time in this historical fiction novel.
melmo17
Currently Reading: Come Back to Me
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melmo17.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melmo17 »

Great review! I usually choose my books based on the back cover (as do many of you I assume) and I've got to say, your review made me want to go out and buy this book right now! So, great job, and I will definitely be adding this to my list!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book with intriguing characters. i would love to find our more about Julia and Rose. I hope I get the chance to read it one of these days. Great review! Congratulations to Patty Dickson Pieczka!
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Sounds like an interesting book. Even though I like Historical Fiction, I find myself rarely reading it. This is one that I may have to read.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
catmomma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by catmomma »

CataclysmicKnight, thanks for the great review. I really like historical fiction, but hate it when the details aren't accurate. This sounds like a great read.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I love the mix of historical fiction, mystery and romance!

Congratulations to the author on the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Congratulations to the author on the wonderful review! I downloaded this book today and I look forward to the read!
chocomeiske
Favorite Author: Ben Galley
Currently Reading: The Prey
Bookshelf Size: 4152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chocomeiske.html
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
fav_author_id: 11401

Post by chocomeiske »

Great review. It sounds like a book in which one can get lost between the pages.
Latest Review: "The Last Bucelarii (Book 1): Blade of the Destroyer" by Andy Peloquin
purplepeepleeater
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplepeepleeater.html

Post by purplepeepleeater »

Very good review!!! I really like period pieces, this book sounds awesome!!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I read the sample on this one, can't wait to read the rest!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
fallenechoes
Currently Reading: Doomed Soul
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by fallenechoes »

Good review. This sounds like a really good book and I can't wait to read it! Thanks!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Great job describing details - Now, I definitely want to read the book!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Return to “Historical Fiction”