Official Review: Closer To The Truth by Tom Gleason

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Closer To The Truth by Tom Gleason

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Closer To The Truth" by Tom Gleason.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the mid-1990's, television brought us into the courtroom trial of the most hated man in America during that time. Closer to the Truth by Tom Gleason is a fictional novel based upon actual historical events as told by the bodyguard of O.J. Simpson.

The novel is the story of bodyguard Mike Page. Through strange twists of fate, Mike lands a one-day security assignment providing personal protection to an accused double murderer, J.D. Sutton. He must protect the famous, ex-football star during the funeral of his wife. She happens to be one of the murdered victims. Mike's commitment to this assignment ends up pulling him into a three year job protecting J. D. Sutton.

In addition to putting his life on the line for an accused double murderer, Mike has to deal with his own insecurities and finding his purpose in life. He has a dilemma of how long to stay with this particular assignment. However, before he can cut all ties, he becomes the only witness to the dying words of J. D. Sutton. Was it a confession? Only the man who was there through it all knows the answer.

The plot follows the real story of O.J. Simpson, but isn't about what the media showed us during that turbulent time. I remember watching the drama unfold live on television. I thought this book would be a fictional re-telling of the headline story, but it is so much more. This book deals with the emotional investment the bodyguard had in his assignment. It is a book about human nature and reaching into your soul to see what you are truly made of.

The author stays true to the main historical facts. He uses very descriptive language and develops his main character, Mike, to the fullest. I feel like I really was in his head at times. Sometimes a little too much, for my taste. Towards the middle of the book, I became a bit bogged down by the personal reflections and thoughts of Mike. However, as described by the bodyguard, security work is long periods of boredom with intense moments of excitement. In the in-between times, we are given insights into the author's deep thinking and searching for his life's purpose.

There are a few grammatical errors and routine use of foul language. Also, when J.D. talks, he overuses " ha, ha" to an absurd extent. However, he may have actually been like that in real life.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of both historical novels and stories that make you really think will enjoy this book. I would recommend this to more mature readers because of the subject nature and the constant use of foul language. I enjoyed this book by Tom Gleason and will look for others to read in the future.

Closer To The Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Nice honest review :)
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That is a very intriguing book. I knew the O.J. Simpson case based only on what I saw on tv. I would love to read this book. Great job on the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”