Official Review: Our eternal curse I by Simon Rumney

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Official Review: Our eternal curse I by Simon Rumney

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our eternal curse I" by Simon Rumney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Eternal Curse I by Simon Rumney narrates the story of an innocent girl named Julia. Mistreated by parents in her early childhood, physically abused by the man whom she trusted with her love and life, and tormented by low self-esteem, Julia becomes an expert in plotting a conspiracy to take revenge against one of the greatest general of Rome.

The story begins when Julia is a child. Her parents treat her like a burden to them. Although she is stunning, her parents plant the seed of low self-esteem in her mind by constantly telling her that she is worthless and ugly. Therefore, when she gets a chance to leave her parents by accompanying Sulla, one of Rome's greatest general, she grabs the opportunity with both her hands. Little did she know that he will rape her and shatter her hope of building a beautiful life with him. After being physically abused by Sulla, she makes revenge a sole purpose of her existence. In her obsession to destroy him for causing her immense pain, she becomes an alcoholic. One of the housemaids of Sulla named Cecilia, tries to help Julia by telling her every day that she is beautiful. This kind act of Cecilia builds a little confidence in Julia, and —much to my surprise — she becomes the second richest person in Rome. My gaze remained fixed on pages of the book because I wanted Julia to get her revenge and destroy Sulla for what he had done to an innocent girl. To avoid any spoilers, I cannot reveal whether she got the satisfaction of vengeance or not; however, I can say that this book had a magnetic charm to me throughout the read.

The mention of several historical figures of Rome and an insight into their lives kept me motivated to read more to gain knowledge about Roman history. For instance, I was excited when I saw the name of Julius Caesar as "an unknown young aristocratic boy." The description of characters is to the point and not written with too much detail.

Julia's trust issues, the effects of bad parenting on an innocent mind, the inhumane treatment of slaves by their owners, and extreme physical abuse of women are portrayed to perfection by Simon. While reading the book, I found myself feeling the pain of Julia, slaves, and those tormented women. Additionally, the author's approach towards writing the struggle of Julia's innocent mind with her revengeful actions is believable. Being a woman, I found myself justifying her actions, every step of the way. I particularly love the parts, where Simon writes how Julia puts on a brave and confident face, even though inside she is terrified to the bones, to execute her plan flawlessly.

I thought that I would lose interest in the last few chapters of the book, where she writes the rebirth of Julia as another human being; however, with the events that followed, I regained my interest. The hold of this book was incredible on me. I was eager to find the end of the story, and whenever I had to put down the book to do my chores, I found myself irritated.

I believe that the author could improve the quality of the book by one more round of proofreading. However, the plot, delivery of dialogues, and the description of events are all perfect.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to the readers, who like reading about war, conspiracy, and rebirth. Also, the readers, who appreciate the creative twist to historical facts, will enjoy Simon's take on Julia's story.

Our eternal curse I
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Anki_Real_Reviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Sounds very interesting! Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her

Paliden wrote:Sounds very interesting! Thanks for the review!
It is truly an amazing historic fiction. The pain that Julia must have gone through is very tastefully written by the author. Thanks for reading the review.
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a profound reading material with interesting character. It seems like the author successfully described the effects of abuse on an individual. Good job on review. Congratulations to Simon Rumney for such a well-written book.
Anki_Real_Reviews

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a profound reading material with interesting character. It seems like the author successfully described the effects of abuse on an individual. Good job on review. Congratulations to Simon Rumney for such a well-written book.
Oh, it most definitely is everything that you just said! I found myself fascinated by the plot and the main character, Julia.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

This book sounds heart-wrenching and terrific at the same time. Abuse is nothing to toy with in stories, but by the way you mention it, the author appears to be well aware of this enough to craft the book in a way that holds your attention. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sounds like Julia got jipped! I would probably root for her as well :shock:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an interesting historical tale with a strong heroine. Not many books can boast of a perfect plot and all the rest. Thank you for the nice review. Congratulations to the author for the positive review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review! This sounds like a very interesting read weaving in the Roman times. I've been interested in that time period for a while now. Julia does sound like a strong character. Congratulations to the author for receiving such a positive review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This sounds really interesting. I love the revenge theme. I'm curious now as to whether or not she got her revenge. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! The main character seems intriguing. I am going to pass on this one, since my interest in historical fiction tends to be relatively more recent history.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Great review. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD! This sounds like such an interesting book, Roman history, vengeance and rebirth make it even more interesting.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Sounds like a well written book, although you mentioned that it needs another round of proofreading. Good to know that you enjoyed reading it. Thank You for the great review.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

The first impression of this book was that it would be too much going on, with conspiracies, wars, parental abuse, reincarnation, and sexual abuse all rolled into one story. However, this review showed me that all of these components can work quite well together. I appreciated the review, and felt attached to Julia just by reading the review alone.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Seems like a super interesting character and a book worth checking out. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane

Return to “Historical Fiction”