Official Review: Homo Avatarius by JT Alblood

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 557
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Homo Avatarius by JT Alblood

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homo Avatarius" by JT Alblood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if everything you thought about the world was false? What if there was something else that has been controlling the major events in history? In this exhilarating Sci-Fi novel, JT Alblood explores the idea that the world may not be what it seems. Take a journey with Oktay, the protagonist, in the third installment of the Save the Last Bullet for God trilogy, Homo Avatarius.

Waking up between the Moon and Earth, in a place called Limbo, Oktay believes himself dead. He remembers his last living moments: he was a doctor, had a wife named Elif, and wrote a book called The Code of the Disjointed Letters. Thinking he is alone, Oktay becomes frightened when he hears his inner voice, the 'Wake-up Support System'. Oktay, overwhelmed and confused, learns from his inner voice that he has been to Limbo before and has created a program to assist him in remembering his past lives/stages by experiencing them again. Only then does he begin to realize the uniqueness of his existence. He has discovered that humans have never been simply humans. Most are being controlled by the alien, or homo avatarius.

From devastating wars back in the 1200s to fast-moving diseases like the Black Plague to the rise of Hitler during WWII, come follow Oktay as he explains the complexity of why the world is the way it is and how it has always been controlled. See him as the son of an emperor, as a leader himself, and as the famous Austrian psychiatrist, Wilhelm Reich.

I absolutely enjoyed this book! I was leery at first, but after reading just a few pages, I was hooked. The author does a wonderful job in thoroughly describing all of Oktay's stages. One stage in particular that comes to mind, the Black Plague stage, was both disturbing and fascinating at the same time. Having only read this last installment, I believe it can be a stand alone novel. I do want to read the other two to fully appreciate the entire storyline. I can honestly say there was never a dull moment while reading.

In addition to liking the book, I appreciate the history aspect that Alblood ties into the book. Homo Avatarius dives into several historical events and figures that I found myself learning as I read. The author was very accurate, and was able to creatively make each event flow into the next.

The only part of the book that may bother some is the religious aspect. The whole trilogy seem to focus on getting rid of God (please excuse me saying so), which in turn can make people feel uncomfortable. There were times when researching this trilogy, I felt some discomfort. However, while reading this book, I was able to easily separate this from my beliefs. I didn't feel as if the book made Catholicism out as negative, I just know some people might be leery of reading this trilogy. Aside from that, I cannot see any 'flaws' in this book.

Homo Avartarius deserves a 4 out of 4 stars. Its gripping tales, historical events and figures, and fascinating concept made this into a very quick and excellent read! I would recommend this book to those who like Science Fiction and would like to explore a different take on our world.

Homo Avatarius
View: on Bookshelves

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I didn't know it was a trilogy. I have the first book due to the generosity of the author. I am glad you enjoyed the book. :) Thank you for the great and well-written review! :)

Congratulations to the author for another great book. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

An interesting approach, to be sure. A good review, too. Congratulations to the author. Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, @gali! It took me a bit to figure out that it was a trilogy:)

Save the Last Bullet for God has all three books, so it'll be good to read for May BOTM. It was nice of the author to give you the first one!

@PashaRu, absolutely, an interesting approach. And thank you!

Definitely, congratulations to the author!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:Thank you, @gali! It took me a bit to figure out that it was a trilogy:)

Save the Last Bullet for God has all three books, so it'll be good to read for May BOTM. It was nice of the author to give you the first one!

@PashaRu, absolutely, an interesting approach. And thank you!

Definitely, congratulations to the author!
I have "Save the Last Bullet for God". It includes all three books??
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great review! I saw it on the review page a few weeks ago and passed it up because I was leery about it! I'm glad you liked it! I will have to check out the series! :)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@gali, Yes, I have it too. I looked through the book and there are three parts. This book is definitely in there. Then...I looked through some more and I noticed part 2 is The Code of Disjointed Letters, which was reviewed here too. Part 1 seems to be its own thing, but even online says that it's a trilogy.

Please, Mr. Alblood, if get a chance to read this, correct me if I'm wrong.

TrishaAnn, thank you! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was questioning the book, but it was definitely a good read! :)
Heidi

gali

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:@gali, Yes, I have it too. I looked through the book and there are three parts. This book is definitely in there. Then...I looked through some more and I noticed part 2 is The Code of Disjointed Letters, which was reviewed here too. Part 1 seems to be its own thing, but even online says that it's a trilogy.

Please, Mr. Alblood, if get a chance to read this, correct me if I'm wrong. :)
:handgestures-thumbup:
A retired Admin/Mod

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:
hsimone wrote:@gali, Yes, I have it too. I looked through the book and there are three parts. This book is definitely in there. Then...I looked through some more and I noticed part 2 is The Code of Disjointed Letters, which was reviewed here too. Part 1 seems to be its own thing, but even online says that it's a trilogy.

Please, Mr. Alblood, if get a chance to read this, correct me if I'm wrong. :)
:handgestures-thumbup:
:D
Heidi

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wonderful, balanced review as always. :) I also have Save the Last Bullet for God through the author's generosity. That's great that it includes this book as well as the other two. Like TrishaAnn92, I also passed up the book so your review peeked my interest.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, bookowlie! I appreciate your kind words. :) I am happy that I am able to write a review that inspires people to try out a new book. It's perfect that you have it in Save the Last Bullet for God, so that way you can judge on your own if you like it or not.

Thanks, again! :)
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I have a feeling the May BOTM discussion will be a lively one!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ooo....I have that feeling too! Can't wait! :D
Heidi

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I am not much of a Sci-Fi fan. Do you think the book would appeal to a wider audience?
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

To be honest, as I reflect back (and notice what genre this book is placed in), Homo Avatarius, in particular has a lot of historical fiction. For instance, when Oktay goes through his several stages, he is reliving most of them as real historical figures and the book provides information based on real events. So, I would say because of this, others outside of the Sci-Fi genre could potentially enjoy this book as well.

Do you enjoy Historical Fiction? I hope this helps! :D

-- 22 Jan 2016, 12:56 --

@bookowlie, not sure if you saw my last response, but I believe those who like Historical Fiction might enjoy this book. Do you like Historical Fiction?
Heidi

Return to “Historical Fiction”