May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

May BOTM - Featured Review: Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by rachel_bruhn »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Save the Last Bullet for God" by JT Alblood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood is intellectually challenging and makes the reader question the reality of the life that we all know. When I picked up this book, I thought I was going to be reading about a secret military mission that took place during World War II. I was wrong. The simple version is this: the reader is taken on a journey through time across the lives of many well known historical figures to learn about a complex operation that was created with a single mission. Kill God. This operation challenges every preconceived idea that humans have about how the world works and incorporates aliens, occult societies, secret codes, and human biology/psychology.

Although this story is a journey across time, it is not written chronologically. Each section of the story is clearly identified but, it can still be hard to follow the jumps in time. Often, the time jumps are accompanied by a change in perspective or character. It was not difficult to reorient myself as I read but, the flow of the story was broken by these sudden changes.

Alblood has a natural talent for writing, which makes it easy to read his work. At the same time, he is very intellectual and the concepts presented in this book are above average intelligence. This book is perfect for a reader that likes stimulating material and can follow complex ideas. I would strongly encourage any science fiction fan to check out this book. This book pulls together the nerdiest of the nerds with the in-depth discussions involving psychology, physics, astronomy, history, and more. While the mission is to kill God, I can't say I would discourage people of faith from reading this book. It is not an attack on Christianity or any religion in general. There are overly graphic scenes described, so I would discourage anyone from reading that can't handle blood and guts.

While the story does involve actual historical events, much of what takes place is not believable. I am going to use that word ("believable") for a reason. The secret operation that underlies the entire plot for this story involves viewing life from an entirely new perspective. The ability to accept this concept is limited by the knowledge and understanding that humans possess at this time. Therefore, this story is not believable in relation to the reality we know today but, could be believable in the future.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the lesson that was taught in this book. I truly believe that it can only be learned through reading. There was a point, about halfway through, when a dramatic twist took place. I anticipated that was the end of the story. The second half of the story was when things got weird. The lesson is not learned until the last sentence. Understanding the entire story is paramount to understanding the lesson.

The hardest part of this review was deciding on a rating. I feel that the story could be improved by some minor revisions in sequencing. This would improve the rhythm and flow of the entire story and make it easier to follow. However, it would not detract from the complexity of the whole. Since that is the only "flaw" I found in this complex, intellectual piece I feel that Save the Last Bullet for God by JT Alblood has earned 4 out of 4 stars.

Save the Last Bullet for God
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on Smashwords

Like rachel_jacks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Journey beyond the jacket.
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

Writing a time shift novel is one of the greatest challenges for an author; I give Alblood 5 starts for just attempting it! Well Done! :D
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Interesting review. Is this book more alternate reality or parallel universe?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! The plot, using well known historical figures, looks very creative.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

bluemel4 wrote:Interesting review. Is this book more alternate reality or parallel universe?
I think it is more along the lines of an alternate reality. The philosophical theory that underlies the whole story takes what we know across history and applies an entirely new theory or explanation of how things happened. The intricacy of the theory and how it was demonstrated throughout history was amazing. Even the theory itself could try to hold ground as an actual scientific theory. I was truly impressed with the amount of planning and thought that had to go into this novel.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Interesting book. The review is very insightful.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Post by Topcho »

I just downloaded this book in hopes to join in for the May Book of the month. At first, when I read the annotation, I wasn't very excited. Didn't sound like my type of read. But now after your review, I can't wait for May. It sounds to me like a Doctor Who arc, lol!
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@rachel_jacks I can only imagine how hard it was to do this review based on reading about the book. I think you did a great job and I have also downloaded a copy of this book as well!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
godzil47
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by godzil47 »

rachel_jacks wrote:
bluemel4 wrote:Interesting review. Is this book more alternate reality or parallel universe?
I think it is more along the lines of an alternate reality. The philosophical theory that underlies the whole story takes what we know across history and applies an entirely new theory or explanation of how things happened. The intricacy of the theory and how it was demonstrated throughout history was amazing. Even the theory itself could try to hold ground as an actual scientific theory. I was truly impressed with the amount of planning and thought that had to go into this novel.
Written by using anamorphous method (which was used for the first time in this book ), this novel tells its own story on each chapter, and when stepped away it creates a totally different view.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

godzil47 wrote:Written by using anamorphous method (which was used for the first time in this book ), this novel tells its own story on each chapter, and when stepped away it creates a totally different view.
Are you the author?

-- 28 Dec 2015, 08:23 --
Escapeartist wrote:@rachel_jacks I can only imagine how hard it was to do this review based on reading about the book. I think you did a great job and I have also downloaded a copy of this book as well!
You won't regret it (as long as you can wrap your head around the concepts as you read)!
godzil47
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Save the Last Bullet for God

Post by godzil47 »

rachel_jacks wrote:
godzil47 wrote:Written by using anamorphous method (which was used for the first time in this book ), this novel tells its own story on each chapter, and when stepped away it creates a totally different view.
Are you the author?

I think, I’m the 29th attempt to save the damaged consciousness :liar:

-- 28 Dec 2015, 08:23 --
Escapeartist wrote:@rachel_jacks I can only imagine how hard it was to do this review based on reading about the book. I think you did a great job and I have also downloaded a copy of this book as well!
You won't regret it (as long as you can wrap your head around the concepts as you read)!
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

godzil47 wrote:I think, I’m the 29th attempt to save the damaged consciousness :liar:
I hope I did your book justice with this review! I loved the complexity of everything in the book and connecting the dots as I read. It has been a long time since I read a book that challenged me the way this one did. I would have loved an "About the Author" section to help shed some light on the talented mind behind this piece.
godzil47

Post by godzil47 »

rachel_jacks wrote:
godzil47 wrote:I think, I’m the 29th attempt to save the damaged consciousness :liar:
I hope I did your book justice with this review! I loved the complexity of everything in the book and connecting the dots as I read. It has been a long time since I read a book that challenged me the way this one did. I would have loved an "About the Author" section to help shed some light on the talented mind behind this piece.
You've done an incredibly good job whith this (hard) book.
Best
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I can only imagine how challenging it had been to review such a multifaceted book. However, I think it was also an honor to do the official review for such a well-thought book. Congratulations to you and to the author.
rachel_bruhn

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Thanks! I do feel honored! I am also glad that I able to follow what was being told. I think the review would look very differently if it was written by someone that was unable to grasp the concepts.

Return to “Historical Fiction”