Review - Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
launchliteracy
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-launchliteracy.html

Review - Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Post by launchliteracy »

This story would fall under historical fiction although it is based on a true epidemic that took place during this time. Yellow fever is spreading rapidly and many are falling ill and many lives are lost. It is the year 1793 in Philadelphia. Young Matilda Cook is only 14 at the time and lives above her family's coffeehouse. All is well until Polly, the server, doesn't show up for work. Whispers of the yellow fever spread throughout the town and Matilda is confused as fevers often dissipate and don't kill young and healthy girls like Polly. As if losing her pal isn't bad enough, Matilda's mother is the next to become ill! It is then decided that Matilda should flee to the country. As she and her grandfather begin their journey, an series of ill-fated events take place. Trials and tribulations become overwhelming and difficult for young Matilda but in the end, she shows her strength and trudges forward. Illness, robbery, loss, fear, strength, and tests of will murmur throughout this tale.

I found this book to be informative of the time period. It tells a tale of will while interjecting true facts and people. It is meant for young adults but is enjoyable as an adult. The writing is very emotional and keeps you wanting more. I enjoyed the fact that the book teaches the reader about struggle and desperation, which is something many children face. The story becomes a beacon of hope for those in impossible situations. The story is accurate with the time it is set in as I did extensive research into the yellow fever epidemic. I would highly recommend this book to other. It is a quick read yet informative and interesting.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Welcome, launchliteracy. Nice review. You`ve intrigued me with the book. I might read it.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Kel808
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kel808.html

Post by Kel808 »

This was one of the best books I have read; the copy I have has a cover that is falling off of it because I have read it so much. I think one of the most prominent feelings shown in the book was fear; the character's surroundings had a basis in fear. Different cities and counties implemented harsh "border" checks when things like this were happening and when those types of instances occur, it is mostly because of fear. What was great about it was the will of someone so young fighting to survive. Many people at that age are completely dependent and, without their parents, many would have a difficult time surviving. For the historical time period she was in, it is quite amazing that she was able to drive her own and her loved ones' survivals. She is an unbelievably strong character, even at moments she may have struggled.
Your review was fantastic and I hope people can take it and read the book. It is great for all ages; even as I've reached into my twenties, I still will pick it up from time to time and will read it all the way through, non-stop. It is a novel that leaves people engrossed in it and sends them on an adventure to 1793.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I had this book but I've never gotten around to reading it. Thank you for the review I think I will give it a chance.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thank you for drawing my attention to this book. It seems like a really effective tale and one that appeals to all ages. And if it is well researched, what's not to like?
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Very, very late here, but thanks so much for this review. I've been looking for a novel set in this time period, and am thrilled to find one that is so well-researched.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Historical Fiction”