Official Review: Hattie's Place by Katherine P. Stillerman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Hattie's Place by Katherine P. Stillerman

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hattie's Place" by Katherine P. Stillerman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Historical novels provide an enjoyable way of immersing you in an earlier time without tedious textbook study. Katherine Stillerman’s Hattie’s Place transports you to South Carolina in 1907. Just before her college graduation in Greenville, Hattie Robinson is jilted by her fiancé via a “Dear Jane” letter. Heartbroken, she accepts a teaching position in rural Calhoun to make a fresh start. She is invited to stay at the Barton mansion, as Mrs. Barton is her aunt’s friend from childhood.

Hattie takes to her first teaching job like a fish to water. Ever the caring teacher, Hattie steps in frequently to ensure the welfare of her fifth-grade students, whether it’s to bring a daily lunch for Pauline Jeter or slyly give school bully Tom Givens a dose of his own medicine so that he will stop taunting the other students. She also enjoys living with the Barton family, becoming attached to their four boys and finding a female role model in Elizabeth Barton.

I selected this book thinking it would be a slice-of-life story. I was happy to discover it is that and a bit more. Feminist undertones are woven through Hattie’s struggles to give her students a good education. Other social issues also work their way into the plot, including child labor laws, early childhood education vs. children working, and domestic violence.

The author has a sure touch in demonstrating that Hattie can gain more with a gentle, charming manner when navigating her way in a man’s world. Hattie’s strong personality sticks out in an era where women are supposed to know their place. It’s an interesting running thread that women have to be socially adept in a non-threatening way. Elizabeth Barton is utilized as a good plot device to show that you can get more “with honey than vinegar.” Hattie finds this exhausting, but often a necessary way of getting things done. As the author writes, “…the emotional energy she had just expended on Reverend Fitts to gain this simple favor was equal to the physical energy of a field worker picking a day’s worth of cotton.”

The author’s writing style fits like a glove here. The dialogue contains just the right amount of formal and folksy language, reflecting the period and setting; it’s also realistic with respect to each character’s socio-economic class.

The characters are vividly drawn. Hattie seems too self-assured for her first teaching job and living away from her family. Still, her warm nature and creative problem-solving shine through the pages. She is assertive without being strident. Reverend Fitts is a particularly interesting character. He is socially awkward and overly formal, yet is considered quite the catch by the single gals in the community.

There is a nice blend of the rural South Carolina setting and historical flavor of the early 1900’s. Typical of a small town in that time period, the local churches play a large role in people’s lives. In modern times, where would you find a reverend of a local church taking over as the acting principal of a public school?

My gripes are relatively few. The romances between various characters in the second half of the book veer the storyline in the direction of a Lifetime TV movie or romance novel. When serious issues are discussed, the resolutions are tied up neatly. Whether the topic is Pauline’s family drama, the follow-up to Hattie’s broken engagement or child labor, blemishes clear up easily. Also, the ending is a bit cliché, although satisfying.

I found a few inconsistencies, although nothing that distracted from the plot. Hattie promises the class they will write sympathy notes to Janie, yet it’s Mabel’s mother who died during labor. In another passage, Hattie tells the cotton mill worker she doesn’t expect that Pauline will go home for dinner; the meal should be lunch, since the worker had just told Hattie that some people stay and eat their lunch while some go home to eat.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a woman making her way in a man’s world at a time when women were considered second-class citizens. Readers who enjoy period pieces will find much to like here.

Hattie's Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

What a great opening line, Owlie!! You pulled me right in with that, and as always your review does not disappoint. I love the way you highlighted the author's point about the strong woman, and the struggle they would have faced being strong without appearing overpowering. What a dynamic that must have been! Congrats to the author, and your review should bring the author much joy, and many new readers!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Well, thanks! Now that I am reading the review again, I think I made it way too long. :) I did want to highlight the good points since I thought the author deserved that. I guess when there are many good points, I can ramble on. :roll:
Levi

Post by Levi »

Ha ha I do that every time!! But in your case, I don't think so, I think it's perfect! You, my friend, are eloquent without being verbose! I humble myself in sackcloth and ashes, and study your reviews hoping to one day attain your level of enlightenment. ;) But really, I think your reviews are wonderful and thank you for being an amazing example to us newbs!
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I think you are not a newbie anymore. You have already gone through 3 photos! I have known to be verbose at times, but thanks for the kind words. :) Don't knock yourself....your reviews are interesting and make people want to read the books! That's what it's all about...giving indie authors the exposure they deserve. :)
Levi

Post by Levi »

I'm glad you think so, it means a lot from you! And I agree, I love helping the authors get their stories out when the story deserves the attention!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

At least, this time it's good exposure. The worst is when a book gets a low rating and the author starts blasting the reviewer in post after post - I just saw this happen to a reviewer today. Doesn't the author realize it gives them more negative exposure by continuing to blast the reviewer who just provided an honest review?!
Levi

Post by Levi »

I agree, especially when they pretend to be a jilted reader who loved the story and do not agree with the review. So tacky!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great review indeed. I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)

I agree with remarks above.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:Great review indeed. I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)

I agree with remarks above.
Thanks Gali!

-- 08 Aug 2015, 01:22 --
Escapeartist wrote:I agree, especially when they pretend to be a jilted reader who loved the story and do not agree with the review. So tacky!
I had that happen with an Investing book I read last month. Someone just happened to join the day the review was published and just "happened" to have already read the book and make their very first OBC comment on my review. They blasted me and spent most of the post marketing the book big-time. Based on the tone of the comments and the member's name vs the names on the author's website, it appears that my critical poster at the time was the author's assistant and/or wife.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I think I'd enjoy the social aspects of the book. Splendid review! It's very thorough.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Yeah, you never want to get one of those "Dear Jane" letters!! This book sounds compelling, and your review was passionate and detailed. I'd love it if I were the author, because you included a lot of great details. Really interesting.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Tanaya and Zeldas_lullaby. The characters were so well developed that I felt like I knew them and lived in their town. I think I went a little overboard this time in being too thorough! Even though I cut out some parts of my review before submission, it still seemed too long. When I saw it published, I thought, "Yikes!"
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, I like that in a review. More info helps me feel more inside the book, which helps me make a better decision of read/not read. I don't know what the consensus is, though!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I will have to do a survey. Question: Is my review too long?
1) No, it's great 2) Yikes, I fell asleep while reading it 3) It's not too long, but it still bored me to tears
:lol: :lol: :teasing-blahyellow: :teasing-blahyellow: :teasing-blahyellow:

Return to “Historical Fiction”