Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Discuss the July 2015 book of the month, The Wicked Wives: A Novel Based on a True Story by Gus Pelagatti.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti. This book will be the July 2015 book of the month!]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti is a historical fiction novel based on a true story that took place in the late 1930's. The author first heard about these crimes when he was eight years old and overheard his mother gossiping. After a career as a trial attorney, he becomes interested in writing a fictionalized account of these notorious crimes.

A bunch of Philadelphia housewives individually conspire with a local tailor, Giorgio DiSipio, to murder their husbands for the insurance money. Of course, the tailor takes a cut of the money. Initially, Lillian Stoner’s mother-in-law implores the D.A.’s Office to investigate her son’s death. She thinks his symptoms were not pneumonia and suspects that her philandering daughter-in-law had a role in his demise. As the deaths of other married men start piling up, 1st Assistant District Attorney Tom Rossi digs further to discover if they were murdered and if there is a link between the cases. What he finds is much bigger than he could have ever imagined.

Each woman’s backstory is described in detail, so that you understand their motives. While money is the driving force, each of the women has specific problems. For example, Eva had a gambling problem and owed a lot of money to a mob bookie. In addition, most of the women are having an affair with Giorgio and some are even in love with him. There is a large cast of characters, yet the author manages to weave their stories together seamlessly. I had no trouble remembering who each person was and their individual story.

All of the characters are well-drawn and interesting. Most of them aren’t likeable, but I was spellbound by their depravity and lack of conscience. Boris Feldman, aka the Rabbi, is a particularly entertaining character during the interrogations and courtroom scenes.

The Philadelphia setting serves as a colorful backdrop. You will experience dirty politics, which this city has had a long reputation for, bribery, and prejudice against Jews, blacks and Italians. The author paints a detailed picture of the local shops, restaurants, cars, and the general flavor of the 1930’s era.

The story moves at a rapid pace in the first part of the book. Two of the women are introduced and their husbands die in the first few chapters. I was sucked in right from the start. The pace slows down as the plot switches gears to the arrests and trials. Still, the story is no less engaging during these scenes.

There is one major twist at the end that is fairly shocking. I thought the way Tom realized this twist didn’t seem realistic. I wonder if his suspicion actually happened that way in real life.

I think the author would have benefitted by using a different title than The Wicked Wives. The title makes the book sounds like a cheesy romance or a chick-lit story about witches. This is an excellent story that should appeal to both men and women. A different title might attract a wider group of readers.

This book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. I loved every minute of this riveting story. I recommend this book to any adult who likes to read a well-written, absorbing tale. It’s much more than just a juicy crime story. It’s simply one great book.

The Wicked Wives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! Congrats to the author too--this book sounds fabulous.

Murdering your husbands for the insurance money--that's just cold. :-o
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks! The wives' individual stories and motives are very interesting. The tailor "drives the train" and manipulates them, although the women are willing participants.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Oh... OK. You know, I always wondered how tailors ever made any money.

"I think the author would have benefitted by using a different title than The Wicked Wives. The title makes the book sounds like a cheesy romance..."

They're wicked, not naughty. :o

"... or a chick-lit story about witches..."

They're wicked, not wiccans. :o

HA HA! Just teasing.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Ha ha, very clever! Seriously, I wish the book had a different title so that it would attract a wider group of readers. The existing title makes me think of all of those Real Housewives reality shows.....trash TV. The story is actually a riveting crime story based on a true murder conspiracy. I think men would love this book as much as women.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for the review. This is interesting to me because of the events on which it is based. But historical fiction is tricky and difficult to write. Sounds like this one is more of a hit than a miss.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Kuartalia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kuartalia »

This review is great! Nice work. :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction novel based on a true story sounds fascinating! Housewives individually hire the local tailor to murder their husbands to get the insurance money. How awful! Those wives are wicked! And to think it is based on a true story! It is good that each backstory is described in detail, that the characters are well-drawn, and the pace is fast. That the author painted a detailed picture of the area is another bonus. Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

PashaRu wrote:Thanks for the review. This is interesting to me because of the events on which it is based. But historical fiction is tricky and difficult to write. Sounds like this one is more of a hit than a miss.
Thanks! I agree that historical fiction is tricky to write. Then you add in the task of writing fiction based on true events. Frankly, I thought the author hit it out of the park in so many areas - plot, character development, historical accuracy of the era, and a surprising twist or two. This is one of those books that really stayed with me days after finishing it.

-- 28 Apr 2015, 23:25 --

Thanks Gali and Kuartalia for the kind words. It's one of the best books I've read in the past year.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Fantastic review! What an interesting piece of history to choose to write about. That evil tailor and those wives! :eusa-naughty: Can't wait to read.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ealasaid wrote: That evil tailor and those wives! :eusa-naughty:
HA HA, that's funny!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Ealasaid wrote:Fantastic review! What an interesting piece of history to choose to write about. That evil tailor and those wives! :eusa-naughty: Can't wait to read.
Thanks Ealasaid! Well, the tailor was evil, but the wives were pretty bad, too.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Wonderful and entertaining review. I agree about the title. This is going on my to-read list.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Well, if you all feel that way, then maybe the author should add a subtitle. Any thoughts?
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Bluemel4! The book is a real page turner.

-- 03 May 2015, 19:32 --
zeldas_lullaby wrote:Well, if you all feel that way, then maybe the author should add a subtitle. Any thoughts?
I have a few ideas, but I would probably get banned for bad suggestions. :roll: :doh:

Return to “"The Wicked Wives" by Gus Pelagatti”