Official Review: Tobey and Russ go to the city

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Starlight Life by N.C Brightman

Official Review: Tobey and Russ go to the city

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tobey and Russ go to the city" by Douglas McAffee.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tobey and Russ Go to the City by Douglas McAffee is a story about Tobey the Turtle and Russ the Rabbit. The two are good friends and neighbors that live in the country. While Tobey’s wife and kids are gone on vacation, he gets lonely and decides to go on an adventure to the city with Russ. The two purchase round-trip train tickets and embark on their journey. They meet new animals and see a ton of new sights. However, they soon realize that not everyone in the city is good. Will they make it back home safely?

Overall, I was disappointed in this story. First off, the plot of this book could use some work. There didn’t seem to be much of a defined storyline. Tobey and Russ just jumped around from place to place without any real purpose. This kind of makes sense within the context of the story, as they stated that they didn’t know what they were going to do in the city. Unfortunately, it made the story difficult to read through, and I started to lose motivation while reading the book. There was eventually a conflict toward the end of the story, but it was introduced and resolved within only a few paragraphs. The development of the conflict could easily have been started earlier, and the time to solve the problem could have lasted longer. I would have been more intrigued by the book if the conflict had been more prevalent throughout the story.

Also, the writing style and organization would make this book difficult for children to read. I was struggling as an adult, so I’m sure it would be difficult for children. Some of the vocabulary was difficult, and there were some sentences that would be too complex for younger audiences. In terms of organization, there weren’t transitional elements between some of the events, which got to be kind of confusing. The book also lacked the bubbly personality that is usually seen in children’s books.

Another major flaw of this book was that there were no pictures. The cover illustration was great, and I would have liked to see more pictures like it throughout the book. Not every children’s story needs pictures, but this one would benefit from them. There were overly long descriptions throughout the story that could have been eliminated if pictures were added. Another point to be made is that not every child would know what country and city settings look like. The pictures would really help them visualize these settings.

Finally, the book needs to be professionally edited. I noticed several errors throughout the story that distracted me from enjoying it. For example, one of the major errors was that the author kept switching between the past tense and present tense.

Based on the plot, writing style, and lack of pictures and editing, I give this book 1 out of 4 stars. I think that the book has some potential, but I wouldn’t recommend it as it is currently written. It is intended to be a children’s book, but I don’t think children would really enjoy it. I have two nieces who love it when I read to them. This just isn’t a book I can see them getting into since I even had a hard time finishing it.

Tobey and Russ go to the city
View: on Bookshelves

Like anneloretrujillo's review? Post a comment saying so!
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

I really adore children books and already I feel disappointed that this one is full of flaws. It would come out greatly though, if it goes through some revision.
Odunsi Yomi Josiah
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Odunsi Yomi Josiah »

I really appreciate the books have read the authors really tried but I need to add that authors need to add the meaning of big grammar they use in books.
May be under the page
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! A children's book with no pictures? That's pretty sad. I do like the cover illustration. Hopefully the author can do some editing and add some pictures to make this a little more palatable to children.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A disappointing children's book? Now that's a near disaster. The cover is cute though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

It always sucks to read a bad book, but never moreso than when it's a children's book; I recently review one that I gave 2 stars (still waiting for approval on the blurb) and it was a real downer. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
vansummer14
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by vansummer14 »

it wasnt a pretty good story for kids. it needs to be more precise and understand by kids..probably needs an edit for this..
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Switching between past and present tense is an egregious error. I shake my head when writers are so transparent in their unwillingness to find an editor, especially writers who are so sloppy that they can't even stay consistent with their tenses.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

The book cover seem interesting for a read but so sorry that you don't like it. I want to read as I love children's book. Thanks. Happy Holidays.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Children's Books”