Official Review: Ninja Spy Cats by R.F. Kristi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Official Review: Ninja Spy Cats by R.F. Kristi

Post by ZeroChill »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ninja Spy Cats" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ninja Spy Cats by R.F. Kristi is a book about a gang of detective cats. The main characters in the book are Polo, Cara, Fromage, Monk, Terrance, Charlotte and Inca. Inca is the founder of Inca & Company, a detective agency led by cats and dogs. Narrated by the leader of the ninja cats, the book is fast-paced and keeps the reader engaged throughout. The book starts with a discussion about Fromage doing trapeze acts in Kensington Park. Everyone denies this news by saying that Fromage is not capable of doing any such thing, but Fromage, who thinks that he is a ninja, tries to prove them wrong and succeeds.

The plot of this intriguing and adventurous storybook revolves around some documents which go missing from the French Embassy. The documents are hidden somewhere in the French embassy. There is news of a master spy coming from Prague to steal the documents from the embassy during a diplomatic gathering. The group plans to sneak in the embassy with Missy, who is catering for the party. As the story continues, the plot gets sophisticated with hidden identities and the cats must work hard to protect their human counterparts.

Ninja Spy Cats is the fourth book in the series, but I didn’t find any difficulty in understanding the role of any character. The writer has developed the characters very efficiently, giving backstories to each one of the animals. My best character among all was Fromage, who thinks that he is the real reason behind Missy’s success in the cheese business.

I was particularly impressed by the style of writing. Many authors tend to describe the characters in hefty lumps of text. This might work for adult novels, but it can kill a children’s book. Thankfully, this author is wise to this, cleverly mixing up speech, exciting deeds and the description of character and setting. Subsequently, the writing felt light and not at all like wading through cauliflower-cheese.

I was somewhat disappointed with the illustrations and layout of the book. The placement of the illustrations wasn’t good. Although the illustrations were colorful, but they were not so heart touching as they should have been. There were a few mistakes in the book. In the first chapter, the ‘Kensington Park’ has been written as ‘Kensington park.’ In the second chapter, when there is mention of the library, the writer has used ‘is’. It should be replaced by ‘was’.

I do enjoy a good adventure and R.F. Kristi, the author, has plotted it very well. He has given the reader an array of interesting characters to follow, and has framed everything descriptively. I rate the book 3 out 4 stars and recommend it to people with children aged 7-10. The few mistakes made me give one less star, but overall the book is still of a 4 out of 4 star quality.

Ninja Spy Cats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZeroChill's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I saw this book and totally started to select it, but didn't wanna chance missing out on the book I AM reading...But thanks for the review; you confirmed that it's a cute little tale. It's a shame that the illustrations weren't quite right since pictures are SUCH a big part of children's books. At the same time,
it's great that there's a good balance of action, description, etc... Perhaps I'll pay for a copy in order to check it out.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

Sounds like a fun and adventurous read for the little ones! Thanks for the review!
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love the names of the main characters. They all by themselves make me want to read this book. It sounds fun. Thanks for the review.
abdul2792123
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul2792123.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by abdul2792123 »

This is a good book as far as i have read but when it comes to the review, i dont know what to say. As a whole it is nice
BigBrother
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigbrother.html

Post by BigBrother »

This is nice review. I enjoyed reading it.
Envision Tressy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-envision-tressy.html

Post by Envision Tressy »

i have always been a fan of your review brother. nice job, keep it up. love you
Her eyes were like the sun, glowing red hot in the darkness of light!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really cute children's story. It's too bad about the illustrations. The mistakes could easily be fixed, so that's good. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KAnonymous
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KAnonymous »

Sounds Good!! Seems like i won't regret reading it.
Shayari Ayi
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayari-ayi.html

Post by Shayari Ayi »

i loved your review. It gives a great insight to the book. I hope to see more from you
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Children, especially boys love action packed stories. This kind of reminds me of the Ninja Turtles.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Very detailed review. Good points you've brought out.. thanks for the review, I like to read such books ?
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Mwanaidi
Currently Reading: My trip to adele
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanaidi.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Mwanaidi »

I love this series. Good to hear illustrations are coloured now. Will definitely recommend this book to anyone with kids
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A furry team of detectives who deal with international spies and a Ninja Spy Cat seems like an adorable and fun children's mystery! It's great to hear that even though this is fourth in a series that it was still easy to follow. Too bad about the illustrations not being great, but it is good to hear that the writing was well done. I'm glad that you enjoyed the read despite its flaws. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

An amusing mystery story about detective cats. Surely the children will love it and realise that animals too have feelings and should be loved, appreciated and treated kindly. Thanks for the review

Return to “Children's Books”