Official Review: Christmas with Snowman Paul by Yossi Lapid

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Christmas with Snowman Paul by Yossi Lapid

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christmas with Snowman Paul" by Yossi Lapid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was growing up – and even now, if I'm being honest – my favorite Christmas special was Frosty the Snowman, so I was very excited to read Christmas With Snowman Paul. Written by Yossi Lapid, this is a short story about snowman Paul who is very sad that he cannot spend Christmas indoors with the family. Told from the first-person point of view by an unnamed child, we see if the situation can be fixed so no one is left out on the holiday.

This is a cute little book that I finished in a matter of moments, so it's just right for young children, who tend to have short attention spans. The tale has a very clear problem, discussion of the problem, and resolution, all written at the perfect pace. The story is also written in rhyme, so it has a great cadence and can be used as a bedtime story. I found no grammatical errors or misspellings in the book.

The illustrations, drawn by Joanna Pasek, are done in a watercolor-type manner and cover the full page, giving children a lot to look at. I also like that this style of drawing was used because it's unusual for children's books and could potentially be something children can talk to their parents about. Paul is also a real cutie; while he has the traditional carrot nose, he also has sticks for hair, and I think his look will make children giggle. I certainly did. Additionally, the pictures of Paul looking sad were wonderfully done, and I felt his pain just from looking at the illustrations. The other characters in the book aren't given names, but I don't think it takes away from the story. In fact, giving the characters names of their own choosing can be an activity to further heighten the enjoyment of young readers.

The underlying themes of this story are friendship and acceptance, and I think the points are delivered well without coming across too strongly. I also like that these themes are included in a story taking place during the holiday season since Christmas is traditionally a time of love and giving to others. At the same time, I think this tale can also be enjoyed by children who celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Ramadan since these themes are universal in nature.

I'm happy to give Christmas With Snowman Paul a resounding 4 out of 4 stars. While children are clearly the intended audience for this book, I also recommend it for teens or adults who are children at heart.

Christmas with Snowman Paul
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like the perfect Christmas book with Christmas around the corner, great review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love cute little Christmas books. I had this great Christmas record I listened to growing up. It was like an old time audiobook. Sounds like a cute story! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thank you, @ geoffrey ngoima & kandscreeley. And I remember the little "record player" for children that came with records that could be played on it. Aaaaaaaa, those were the days!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

An awesome book for children and adults to enjoy during Christmas.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I read another of the 'Snowman Paul' books and I absolutely loved it as well! The illustrations really are amazing. I had so much fun looking at all the details the illustrator included. Glad you liked this one so much; great review!
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I think this is a great book for kids. You kept the review very succinct, just like the book itself. Christmas during childhood has always been wonderful moments for me. Good to explore others' experiences.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I also agree that the watercolor illustrations can attact the kids' attention. The story sounds very cute and solid. Thanks for the review!
Last edited by Kalin Adi on 20 Oct 2017, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Mommaof3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Mommaof3 »

Christmas is by far my favorite Holiday!! And of course its my kids too lol. They love watching Christmas movies and reading Christmas books even when its not even close to Christmas. Something about it gives me a warm, cozy feeling inside. After reading your review I can definitely say that I can't wait to read this book and add it to our Christmas book collection and I know it will soon be a favorite in our home! Thanks for your review!
BabyJenePolvoriza
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by BabyJenePolvoriza »

I love Christmass books collection too because i really in love with the christmass holiday with family.I know my son will also love to read the books.
like009
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by like009 »

i love his books most expectially this present one
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The book just brings fond memories of love and family. It's the little things that count. Thanks for a wonderful review MsTri.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I love all the classic Christmas stories, too. This sounds like a fun story.
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

As a mother of 3, there is nothing better than spending a cold night snuggled on the couch with my kids reading a new book! Excited to have a look at this twist on an old classic. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Love watercolor illustrations. Sounds like a cute story!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Return to “Children's Books”