Official Review: Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage" by C.R. Langille.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anyone who has ever slept has had nightmares, many of them as children, and in his book, Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage, C.R. Langille tells us just where these bad dreams come from. Terrence is a brown teddy bear who is tasked with protecting his child, Liam, from nightmares. In this story, we find out that nightmares come from wicked goblins who carry bags of nightmare dust that are to be sprinkled on children as they lie sleeping. As Liam's protector, it's up to Terrence to protect the child from these creatures and the nightmares they induce. There's one problem, though: Terrence is afraid of pretty much everything, and he even flunked out of Teddy Bear Academy!

During his attempts to protect Liam, Terrence hears of the Magical Sword of Courage which is supposed to provide its bearer with enough courage to face anything. Can Terrence find the sword? Will it really give him courage? Will he succeed in keeping Liam safe? All these questions and more are answered in this tale.

I really really liked this book. Terrence is an adorable teddy bear, and I wanted to reach out and hold him many times. His sidekick, a hobgoblin named Milton, is a hoot, and the two of them make a great team as they quest for the sword. The bad guys, including the big baddie, the Boogeyman, are sufficiently scary and make for great antagonists. Also along for part of the ride are some helpful ravens and the turkeys upon which the goblins ride. Since the story takes place at night, Liam spends the better part of the tale asleep and is therefore not an integral part of the story, but it's still clear how much Terrence loves him and how close the two are.

While the story begins in Liam's bedroom, much of the action takes place in two separate worlds, UnderBed and ClosetVille. First off, I want to say that I absolutely loved the naming of these places, and I think children will too. The author also did a great job describing both worlds, and I could see them in my mind's eye. My only concern is that the exceptionally young may be frightened at the idea of these being real worlds inhabited by monsters, as many children are already afraid of what may be lurking under their beds or in their closets during the night.

In addition to great descriptions throughout the tale, each chapter begins with a relevant picture. I think the pictures are tastefully drawn and represent each chapter well. They were also wonderful aides in helping me further visualize the scenery. I will note, however, that the pictures are in grayscale, and I think color would have really made them stand out, but that's just my subjective opinion. It's also possible that they're grayscale only in digital editions and are in color in the print version.

The underlying lesson in this story is about courage, and I believe the point is delivered well without coming across too strongly. I also think the book is a good opportunity for parents to speak with their children about things like courage, things that go “bump” in the night, friendship, and doing the right thing.

Amazon has a suggested age range of 5-12 years old for this book, but I recommend it for the higher end of that range, as many of the words are a little complex for the really young, and even older children may have to ask for help with words such as “epitome”, “roughhewn”, and “ambient”. The author does explain in the Introduction that he uses such vocabulary on purpose with the goal of children increasing their vocabulary in mind. I also recommend it for children closer to the age of 12 because it's over 100 pages long and may be a bit much for the young, even if read during several sessions. Lastly, I think it's more appropriate for the older crowd because even though it never gets real scary, it still may be a bit much for the really young and vulnerable who are more likely to still be afraid of night monsters.

I found a handful of grammatical errors that I may normally overlook, but since this is a book for children, I think it's even more important to be error-free as much as possible, as we don't want younger people to inadvertently pick up bad writing habits.

All told, I think Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage is a wonderful book, and I give it a strong 4 out of 4 stars. This is the first in a series of books, and I cannot wait to read the others when they're released. In my mind, one is never too old to learn life lessons.

Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ibrahim Olalekan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim Olalekan »

Nice review, I look forward to reading the book.
Thank you
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

As an avid lover of children's books, I am attracted to C.R. Langille's Terrence and the Magical Sword of Courage. The paradox of Terrence, the protector who is also afraid of pretty much everything, is interesting. Fine review, MsTri!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thank you, @Ibrahim & @KlareAllison!
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

It's a very good review. You're right to say that children may get scared when they know about real monsters that can be in their bedroom when they are asleep. :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html

Post by Cloe101 »

I am sure I would also like this book, nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I'm not a kid, but your review made even me want to read the book :) Great review, MsTri.
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Intriguing review. I look forward to reading it this book.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for your wonderful comments, everyone... @Aimy, I had TERRIBLE dreams when I was little and woke up screaming many nights, convinced that something was in the closet in the extra bedroom and that it would come to my room to get me. I certainly could have used a Terrence!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love children's books! This sounds so cute, I can just imagine Terrence's hobgoblin buddy. I am definitely putting this on my list of books to read and hope that I love it enough to recommend to others :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't remember having nightmares as a child or even being scared of monsters lurking in secret corners. I also didn't have any stuffed toys to cuddle. It seems I had an unhappy childhood haha.

Thanks for this feel-good review, Mstri.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that this story is told from the teddybear's point of view. I believe children will enjoy reading it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I especially love stories told from the toys' perspectives, having read a ton of Enid Blyton while growing up. I certainly can't wait to dive into the imaginative world of Terrence the Teddy bear!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I love the fun descriptions of Underbed and Closetville. I couldn't help laughing when I read your explanation that Terrence flunked out of Teddy Bear Academy. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

This is an uplifting, detailed review :) Reviewing children's books is fun but a challenge!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Return to “Children's Books”