Official Review: Perky Girl: The Amazing Life of Bienna ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Perky Girl: The Amazing Life of Bienna ...

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perky Girl: The Amazing Life of Bienna Molo" by Vera I. Roberts.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Perky Girl: The Amazing Life of Bienna Molo by Vera I. Roberts is a book written by a child for other children and follows the experiences of Bienna Molo, the main character. The book takes the reader through Bienna’s journey from kindergarten to high school to her marriage and lastly, her death. It contains many short chapters which describe significant events in her life, the problems she faces and how they are eventually resolved. Some of these events include her fight with her best friend, how she saves her school from a robbery, the first and last days of every grade, her experiences at a salon while getting her hair curled and her estranged sister’s return.

Unlike most books, this book contained no main plot. To me, it seemed like a collection of brief descriptions of numerous, distinct events. The only common factor throughout the book was the main character, Bienna Molo. There were numerous, constantly changing secondary characters. While I was disappointed with the lack of a basic storyline and would have definitely liked more depth in the book, I think many people and especially children might consider this unique structure as a refreshing change. Further, while there were numerous secondary characters and I could not keep track of them, this did not confuse me or interrupt my flow of reading.

I usually associate Children’s books with images and important life lessons. This book contained no images (apart from the cover itself and a few images of handwritten notes) and did not directly emphasize upon any life lesson or skill. There were instances where the main character, Bienna Molo resolved fights and took a stand. For most parts of the book, Bienna was a strong and inspirational character. However, the impact of these positive character traits in the overall context of the book was limited. I would have liked the book much more if it contained a powerful, important and positive message.

In terms of language, the book used simple vocabulary and sentence structures. It was very easy to read and follow. I did not come across any major grammatical, editing or formatting errors. Further, I liked how the book was divided into numerous small chapters, which made it easier to read. There were a few handwritten notes which were enjoyable to read and held my attention.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book was easy to read and contained descriptions of some amusing events. I was disappointed by the absence of a main plot and images, and hence I cannot give it a perfect rating. Since the book follows Bienna’s entire life, I would recommend this book for children who are curious about the future and what happens as you grow up.

Perky Girl: The Amazing Life of Bienna Molo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a child which is the intended audience of the book. However, I'm unsure about this one. With the lack of plot and just more days in the life... I don't know. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wingy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wingy »

Hello thank you very much for your book I love the story about bier a but I seriously recomend that next time you should add images so give you three stars out of five
Dj Hoodrich
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Dj Hoodrich »

This contains many short chapters which describe significant events in Bienna's life.
I loved it Perky Girl
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I think Perky girl: The amazing life of Bienna makes a good story...but I'd leave this one to the kids anyways.
Thanks for the straight-forward review.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I still love children's books, but this one is more of a collection of short stories.
It's a good book though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Amaalarif
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amaalarif »

I am new to all this but I am very interested in book reviews.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This sounds like a very bizarre read. I'm not sure how I feel about a book with no real plot line. Like other commenters, I'm not sure this is a book for me.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Return to “Children's Books”