Official Review: Charlie and Joe by DJ Morrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Official Review: Charlie and Joe by DJ Morrow

Post by AA1495 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie and Joe" by DJ Morrow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Charlie and Joe is a children’s book written by DJ Morrow.

Charlie is a baby otter and does not have parents. However, other otters look after him and make sure that he is fed properly. On the other hand, Joe is a baby Tabby Cat. He usually sits on top of a cliff and watches others play. His parents left him when he was four weeks old, and he does not have any friends. Tired of being alone, he decides to take a journey down the cliff and try to become friends with the otters. While the other otters ignore his presence, Charlie befriends him. How this friendship blooms, how the other otters react to this new friendship and whether (and why) they accept Joe into their ‘family’ forms the rest of the plot.

Charlie and Joe teaches children not to judge others quickly, to be sensitive to others’ emotions and to accept differences. The story is told from both Charlie and Joe’s perspectives. I could connect with both the characters and was rooting for their friendship throughout the book. I found the plot unique and interesting. It held my attention throughout and I was genuinely curious to know what happens to the characters.

This book contained a lot of text, with very few illustrations. Further, the illustrations were small in size and simply showed how Charlie and Joe looked. A reader would not be able to understand most parts of the storyline simply by looking at the illustrations. I believe that illustrations are a very integral part of children’s books and I would have liked the book much more if it had larger and more elaborate illustrations.

The book was very easy to understand and followed a good pace. However, I found many grammatical mistakes, such as “he so much wanted a friend” and “he can’t remember the last time..” (Instead of “He could not remember the last time..”). Further, I found the writing informal, with the use of words such as “yep”. According to me, the book needs another round of professional editing.

The book has a unique and interesting plot, which will hold the reader’s attention throughout. Further, it teaches children important lessons of acceptance and kindness, without being dictative. However, the book needs better illustrations and another round of professional editing. Hence, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is very easy to understand and the message is clear, and hence I would recommend the book for any child who can read (or is patient enough to listen to) a large amount of text.

Charlie and Joe
View: on Bookshelves

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very insightful review. I hope this book gets the next round of editing it deserves to get it to full stars.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love children's books that teaches a lesson. I do agree that the fact that the book is filled with a lot of text and few illustrations would be a problem for children. Most small children don't have the patience to listen to a story filled with lots of text. Older children would feel like they are too big to be reading books like this as they are discovering chapter books. Perhaps the author should better tailor the book to fit an appropriate age group.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad there weren't more illustrations and less words. It sounds like it could be a cute book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Given your description, I can see how you would be rooting for Charlie and Joe. Thanks for the detailed review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jessie Mae Pagdato
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jessie Mae Pagdato »

Good books for childrens. It teaches a lot of lessons and I know that a lot of kids could relate in this story.
Mailove22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mailove22 »

What a wonderful storybook for kids
The story need some twist to make the readers interesting.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Wow the book seems like a great story to consider. A story of being alone and without parents is a touching story. Thank you for this honest review.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

Thanks for the insightful review. The fact that there are very few illustrations in a children's book seems problematic to me. I don't know if I would consider reading this one.

Return to “Children's Books”