Review by Amagine -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Review by Amagine -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Amagine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"They realized that this was the beginning of a long friendship. Yes, Farmer Beau's farm was magical!" -Kathleen Geiger, Farmer Beau's Farm
Everyone is always searching for a special place. This is a place where you can go to find comfort and love. For many animals, this place is the farm of Farmer Beau. In Kathleen Geiger’s Farmer Beau’s Farm, we are introduced to Farmer Beau and his wife, Bamma. The two of them are hard at work on the farm until they spot a litter of kittens playing together. The couple becomes sad when all the kittens leave the farm, except for one, Kailey. Farmer Beau and Bamma welcomes Kailey into their home and gives her a special place to live.

On the farm, Kailey meets another small animal, a bunny named Sammy. Kailey welcomes Sammy to the farm when she discovers that Sammy doesn’t have a home. The two become fast friends as they enjoy their special homes with Farmer Beau and his wife. Time passes and the farm receives a new arrival, an animal who is quite unusual to have on a farm. When Kailey and Sammy meets the new addition, they’re not sure if their special place should be a special place to just anyone.

The cover of the book evokes warm emotions as readers see the image of smiling animals. The illustrations, while not the best quality, were still colorful and contributed to the plot. The plot was very well written and the language is simple enough that children and adults could read this together or a child could even read it alone. I also noted that even though the book is for children, it could also be an insightful read for adults because of the lessons given. The length of the book was short, but it was filled with many positive lessons.

The lessons that were given in the book is the reason I would recommend it to parents and children. The book teaches a lesson on acceptance as we see Kailey and Sammy’s hesitance to accept a new animal because of physical differences. It teaches readers that despite differences, everyone can still become friends. The book addresses bullying, but does it in a simple manner so that young children can comprehend it. It teaches us that words can hurt people’s feelings so you should be careful of what you say.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the illustrations, but they served the point and complemented the plot well. The negative that I will mention is that the illustrations and the words were on separate pages. In children’s books, illustrations should be placed on the same page as the words. This makes it easier for children to follow along instead of flipping back and forth between the pictures and the story. I’m hoping this is not the case in the physical version of the book. Since I was reading the digital version that had the illustrations separate from the text, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Apart from that small negative, this was a great book that adults and children should read together and discuss. This book would be a wonderful addition to a young child’s bookshelf.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great review on a cute book! ;) I love the quote that included in your review! It summarizes one of the lessons of the book nicely. I actually like the illustrations. I thought they were fun and cute. On the Kindle version, they are definitely on separate pages, but I was kind of happy about this because some of paragraphs were rather long. For me, if the pictures and words on the same pages, it might have been too much for a Kindle version.

I would hope in the physical copies, since they would be bigger, that the pictures and words are on the same page. Anyway, great review and thank you for your thoughts!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

hsimone wrote:Great review on a cute book! ;) I love the quote that included in your review! It summarizes one of the lessons of the book nicely. I actually like the illustrations. I thought they were fun and cute. On the Kindle version, they are definitely on separate pages, but I was kind of happy about this because some of paragraphs were rather long. For me, if the pictures and words on the same pages, it might have been too much for a Kindle version.

I would hope in the physical copies, since they would be bigger, that the pictures and words are on the same page. Anyway, great review and thank you for your thoughts!
Thank you so much for reading my review, hsimone! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amagine wrote:
hsimone wrote:Great review on a cute book! ;) I love the quote that included in your review! It summarizes one of the lessons of the book nicely. I actually like the illustrations. I thought they were fun and cute. On the Kindle version, they are definitely on separate pages, but I was kind of happy about this because some of paragraphs were rather long. For me, if the pictures and words on the same pages, it might have been too much for a Kindle version.

Thank you so much for reading my review, hsimone! :D
You are quite welcome! :tiphat:

Oh! I forgot to mention that I love you mentioned the theme of bullying here. This is such an important topic for children to learn about at a young age, and I love how the author incorporates this in her book.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This book sounds really promising. I love when authors use animals to exemplify important themes like bullying and acceptance. Kids clearly respond well to the use of animals - and so do most adults! I also like the quote you chose for the beginning of the review; I think it really sums up the gist of the book :)
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

MarisaRose wrote:This book sounds really promising. I love when authors use animals to exemplify important themes like bullying and acceptance. Kids clearly respond well to the use of animals - and so do most adults! I also like the quote you chose for the beginning of the review; I think it really sums up the gist of the book :)
I also love when writers use animal characters in books for young children. It brings them a sense of comfort and also it's easier to talk about sensitive subjects if the character is an animal and not human.

Thank you for reading! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”